Proper backspacing for A Body 8 3/4

-

Rocket

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My 69 Barracuda fastback is apart currently and was wondering for those of you will the same size wheel well in a fast back Barracuda and using an 8 3/4, will a 7" or 8" wide wheel with 4.25" backspacing be centered in the wheel well? What is your experience?
Thanks

Think the 4.25 backspacing would work pretty nicely with a 8" wheel for being centered on a all stock a body.

What car it is for makes a difference. 7" wheels with 4.25" backspacing work on my '69 Dart. Seeing as how that works pretty well, if I was going to put 8" wheels on it I'd get 4.75" backspacing to maintain the same wheel center line.

Thanks for the responses. Any Duster or Barracuda owners out there with a similar combo? How much room to the leaf springs and outer fender do you have with your combinations?

These are 15 x 8.5 with 4.25 backspace 275/60/15 on my 69. I have had these wheels for over 27 years and it was not it in budget to change them for the restoration.

4.5 or even 4.75 backspace would be better and I believe there would be no clearance issue with the stock spring location. As mine is it has extended shakles to keep the quarter off the tires. I am ok with that and it gives it the early 80's look I like "at the moment".

In the future I plan on steelies that are 8" with 4.5 BS.

Thank you for the pictures. Looks like you have about 1.5" or so of clearance on the leaf spring side. Id that about right? The outer fender sounds like you have no room at all or so little it was raised to be sure. I presume this is a stock A body 8 3/4 you have. Did you add LBP axles that pushed the wheels out a little on each side?

Bone stock axle housing and springs SBP.

The springs have been re-furbed but not re-arched.

1.5 inch with 8.5 rim.

8" wheel would seemingly bow the tire wider at the apex so it would be less than that.

I am having a C body housing cut to fit my Barracuda so I can taylor the width accordingly so this is why I am trying to see with the 4.25 backspacing where I have have the drum to drum measurement come in at. If you have 8.5" rims and are at the outer fender with your tires then with a 7" rim and smaller tires I should be pretty close to middle. This is what I am shooting for is to place a 7" rim in the center of the wheel well.

I am having a C body housing cut to fit my Barracuda so I can taylor the width accordingly so this is why I am trying to see with the 4.25 backspacing where I have have the drum to drum measurement come in at. If you have 8.5" rims and are at the outer fender with your tires then with a 7" rim and smaller tires I should be pretty close to middle. This is what I am shooting for is to place a 7" rim in the center of the wheel well.

You should be good with that.

It looks like an 8" with 4.5 would center up nicely as well and not give any issue on the outer lip. I know lots of guys here run that combo.

-
Back