Pull Timing Boost

-

Moparturbo

Reaction score
As I continue gathering parts for my turbo build, I was wanting to find a budget way to pull timing under boost. I have seen some information on using an HEI 5 pin module that will pull 10 degrees once grounded. The information I have seen uses a hobb switch at whatever PSI you want it pulled. You can use an electronic mopar distributor and eliminate the mopar box. From what I have found, I am going to use a 5 pin module that was used on a 1978 buick regal turbo.

As I continue gathering parts for my turbo build, I was wanting to find a budget way to pull timing under boost. I have seen some information on using an HEI 5 pin module that will pull 10 degrees once grounded. The information I have seen uses a hobb switch at whatever PSI you want it pulled. You can use an electronic mopar distributor and eliminate the mopar box. From what I have found, I am going to use a 5 pin module that was used on a 1978 buick regal turbo.
Just to throw this out there, I saw the NEW Holley 6AL Ultra ignition box at he PRI show and it appears to have a fully programmable timing curve WITH a built in boost reference. All for under $500. 3 timing retard features, 3 rev limit features, all built into the box, no extra modules needed. Looked to me like a great ignition system for a boosted application or even just a street/strip car.

Is your reference to the Ultra 6A, Ultra 6AL or the Ultra 6AL "Plus"?

The hei method does work but not well. Reason being it pulls all the timing all at once, so you get say 3psi with 10 degrees of retard, and 10 psi with 10 degrees of retard. It will work but there are better options. I use an MSD 6btm with the rotary dial to pull X degrees per pound of boost and it’s very simple. The next turbo build (I’m currently doing) is getting an MSD digital programmable 6AL-2 so a boost referenced curve can be built in a laptop.

MSD 6530 MSD Digital Programmable 6AL-2 - Red

I have that same (MSD BTM) set up you mentioned and while it works, it's not optimum. The P.I. distributor is extremely simple and fast and pulls timing when, where and how much you program it for. Not all at once. Apparently this new 6AL Utra Plus does the same for a little less $

I have that same (MSD BTM) set up and while it works, it's not optimum. The P.I. distributor is extremely simple and fast and pulls timing when, where and how much you program it for. Not all at once. Apparently this new 6AL Utra Plus does the same for a little less $
The 6btm was perfect for my situation, it’s in a boat and fuel efficiency is not of primary concern. On a street car when you’re not in boost it’s nice to keep all the timing in it for cruising and get the mileage back. It’s hard to do that in a distributor and a mechanical type retard system. The only real way to get there is by creating a 3d map in software and letting the box do the work.

Agreed. But, both systems mentioned above are not mechanical but are fully blue-tooth controllable electronic systems. One has a control box and the other is integrated into the distributor (no control box).

Agreed. But, both systems mentioned above are not mechanical but are fully blue-tooth controllable electronic systems. One has a control box and the other is integrated into the distributor (no control box).
By mechanical, I meant grounding the pin on an HEI module. I have no experience with the PI distributor set up.

Is your reference to the Ultra 6A, Ultra 6AL or the Ultra 6AL "Plus"?
The box I was looking at is the Ultra plus. It was the only one that had a boost reference port. It had multiple timing and rpm settings, as well as what appeared to be a "launch" timing curve, and was bluetooth programmable. At the trade show it was advertised at $430, which I thought was very reasonable. I am in charge of a 5 car NHRA drag race team, and we use the MSD Grid system which also has the launch retard. I use that feature extensively to control the hit as well as overall ET. We run TopDragster class, and are not allowed to run faster than 6.10. So I use the launch retard to ramp in timing off the line.

Yes, that is what I thought as I had found a table that showed the features of each of the Ultra models and the Ultra Plus appeared as you described. @ $430 that's a good deal and is roughly $100 less than the PO.I. distributor with nearly identical features. Certainly parts and service would favor the MSD unit over the P.I. distributor.

Your job must be hectic at times but really enjoyable for a gear head.

I would rather be working on Mopars, but,yeah it is a great job other than that! Lol

20240109_173214.jpg

-
Back