Question on Changing pinion yoke

-

Dustedu2

Reaction score
I just had my rearend built last year (less than 500 miles on it) and want to chage the pinion yoke to 1350. Since it is newly rebuilt, can I just remove the current yoke and put the new one on without replacing anything else? The rear is still in the car.

...............Which rear is it..........7.25,8.25,9.25+the 489 case all have a crush sleeve/collar u will need to replace, along with the front seal........741+2........just change the yoke........tork to specs, and check rotating tork.........kim..

Just replace the crush sleeve, pinion seal, and reset the pinion bearing preload to specs with an inch;lbs. torque wrench. Thats if everything else is okay. Hope you are aware that you will need the correct tool to hold the pinion flange while you tighten the pinion nut. Please do not use a monkey wrench. Mancini racing has the correct tool that attaches to the pinion yoke for about $25. Ive used it to set up mine. Make sure you go very slow when you tighten the pinion nut. Its very easy to overtighten and have too much preload. The method that worked for me is to tighten the pinion nut, check preload, tighten, check preload. It takes a lot of patience but its worth it. You will have to replace the crush sleeve if you overtighten. Dont ask me how I know.

...............Which rear is it..........7.25,8.25,9.25+the 489 case all have a crush sleeve/collar u will need to replace, along with the front seal........741+2........just change the yoke........tork to specs, and check rotating tork.........kim..
Thanks Kim, it is a 489 and you answered for all options. Good resource, Thanks.

Just replace the crush sleeve, pinion seal, and reset the pinion bearing preload to specs with an inch;lbs. torque wrench. Thats if everything else is okay. Hope you are aware that you will need the correct tool to hold the pinion flange while you tighten the pinion nut. Please do not use a monkey wrench. Mancini racing has the correct tool that attaches to the pinion yoke for about $25. Ive used it to set up mine. Make sure you go very slow when you tighten the pinion nut. Its very easy to overtighten and have too much preload. The method that worked for me is to tighten the pinion nut, check preload, tighten, check preload. It takes a lot of patience but its worth it. You will have to replace the crush sleeve if you overtighten. Dont ask me how I know.
Thanks for info, I may just remove and take to a shop since I will be replacing the axles also. You guys are all very helpful. :hello1:

I'd have a solid pinion spacer installed in place of the crush sleeve. That way if you'd ever need to take the yoke off again you can do it without worrying about the crush sleeve.

-
Back