Ram rod. what does it fit in?

-

TheDeputy

Reaction score
I have this mystery ram rod I'd like to put in my valiant. Anyone have an idea what kind of car/transmission it might fit into?

Thanks,

Antoon

Attachments

• parts 006.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 298
  • parts 009.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 292
  • parts 008.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 291
Hi Antoon,

you have some crazy stuff....for what is the 3rd lever?

Have fun in Herten, i´ll be in Hockenheim at the same weekend, Public race days.....preparing for next year when the new engine is in the car.....:toothy7:

Greetings from Germany

Michael

If that's a bonifide Hurst shifter, it has a number on it somewhere. You can call Husrt and they can tell you exactly what it is. I have seen some numbers on the inside of the housing, so disassembly might be required.

1. What are the three levers for? I know one is for shifting.

B. How in the world do you operate that thing?

i think it's a v-gate the big one is the shifter the bent one is rev. and the one under the shifter is to down shift

It is an early verti-gate shifter . I have a later model in my cuda. It is a great racing shifter but a little awkward on the street (even tho thats where I use mine). The 'T ' under the shifter T handle is only for downshifting and of course the other one is for reverse

Attachments

• i9867.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 262
  • insurance4 012.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 255
It's a hurst Ram Rod, an inline four speed shifter mechanisme. That's all I know. I looked for pics of other ram rods online, but couldn't find any that matched my shifter exactely.
I'll look for some numbers and send hurst an email.

Antoon

So do you like pull the downshift, push the shifter and such as on/off (non toggling) switches? And use the rev the same on starting?

lOOKING AT YOUR PIC REAL CLOSE IT IS BUILT JUST LIKE MINE EXCEPT THE REVERSE LEVER LOOKS FUNKY. BY THE WAY THERE IS A SPRING MISSING ON YOURS AND THE MOUNTING PLATE IS TOTALLY DIFFERENT . mY STOCK MOUNT IS MADE OUT OF 2" X 3/4" BOX STEEL AND THE SHIFTG RODS ARE BEEFY LOOK LIKE SOME ONE SLIPPEC TUBE STEEL OVER THE RODS AND THEN WELDED THEM

From other pics I found I also noticed that the shifter itself is always about the same, only the mounting plate makes it suitable for different transmissions. I don't have a tailshaft lying around so I can't install it just to determine if it will fit my A-body A833. I will have to fabricate my own rods, so that won't be a problem.

Antoon

Hey Antoon mine looks just like the one you show in your picture so i guess it is a ram rod. I fabricated my own mounting plate out of 4" x 1/2" aluminum and moved the whole shifter up higher into the tunnel. I was able to use the standard 3-4 rod that i got from brewers which i think is half inch rod, i took the small bend out of it, and then used the 3-4 rod from the b-body tranny the shifter came off of for my 1-2 rod. For reverse i just flipped the rod upside down so that it runs above the crossmember, i had to put a small radius into the tunnel opening for the reverse level to sit in when its not engaged but otherwise i had to do little or no cutting. I also found that an E-body shifter boot coveres it nicely. Ill try and get some pics of mine on here sometime so you can see, it took some patience to get it settled in there but i would say it is definately worth it.

I had one in a 70 Nova years ago.
It shifted very well, downshifts were a little tough till
you got the hang of it.
It was a straight back and forth shift pattern.

-
Back