71 Demon Back From The Dead

-

lv6spd

Reaction score
Well the way this car is being put together may not be for everyone but this is a just quick project so I have something to play with while I build my Duster. I have probably been watching too much Roadkill but seeing how much fun they were having with a bunch of garbage cars looked very appealing.

So that brings me to the Demon, I bought the car a couple years ago with the idea of building a race car. It ended up being a little rougher than I thought once I got it home so I got the Duster and the Demon got pushed to the back burner. After watching Frieburger build cars like "General Mayhem" and the "Crop Duster" it made me consider the extra parts I had laying around and a car that's been sitting for years. So for now I'm not painting it (even though it desperately needs it) and I'm going to try to use a lot of parts I have rather than stripping it down and throwing new parts at it. Right now I have a disc brake setup, a complete 8 3/4, and a 340 so let the fun begin.

It being rescued

IMG_2109.JPG

IMG_2112.JPG

IMG_2146.JPG

Some cleaning and painting.. with new wheels. Trying to not buy new parts didn't last long but I couldn't help myself.

IMG_5774.JPG

IMG_6541.JPG

IMG_6561.JPG

IMG_6562.JPG

Yay, another Demon rising from the grave!

I love Torq Thrusts....tried the set off my Charger on my Demon....too wide, but loved the look. What sizes and offset you using?

arw1.jpg

arw2.jpg

Yay, another Demon rising from the grave!

I love Torq Thrusts....tried the set off my Charger on my Demon....too wide, but loved the look. What sizes and offset you using?

arw1.jpg

arw2.jpg

By the looks of it mine are the same as yours. 15x8.5 with 3.75 bs what size tire are you running on your wheels?

Mine are also 15x8.5 with the same backspacing you have.

Tires are 255/60-15's. Just fit under the rear on my '73 Charger (with a little trimming), not even close on the Demon :(.

Yeah, not very smart but I went off someone else's specs and apparently they weren't right. I was a little surprised to say the least but they will work for now. Eventually it will have 18s and be set up for auto-x so these will get put on something else anyway. I've got steel wheels and drag lites worst case scenario.

Oh, this might save you....my rear is a B body 8.75 from a '70 Coronet.

One inch wider each side!!

That will help me, mines an a body 8 3/4. I think they will end up just about flush with the quarters

The 68-70 B housing is 3 inches wider in total from what I recall.

Yep, you're spot on.

Mopar Rear Axle Dimensions

Perfect for a Demon/Duster.....standard Rallye wheels are pushed outwards and fill the wheel wells nicely. Not so good for wide Torq Thrusts though, unless you pay big money for a custom offset.

lv6spd,your my kind of guy. Big fan of use what ya got ! My last 3 or 4 cars are beaters that are safe to drive but not too pretty.

lv6spd,your my kind of guy. Big fan of use what ya got ! My last 3 or 4 cars are beaters that are safe to drive but not too pretty.

Yeah this one may look like a little rough but the brakes are brand new, never been driven on as well as all the bushings. With the new tires and wiring being taken care of the safety aspect of it is addressed. The problem I'm running into is that I said it would be cheap and bare bones but like any project I seem to get carried away haha

I know what you mean, I just ordered TTI shorty headers and a complete dual exhaust. It was 1/3 the price of what I paid for the car. But it will be well worth it.

I know what you mean, I just ordered TTI shorty headers and a complete dual exhaust. It was 1/3 the price of what I paid for the car. But it will be well worth it.
I think u should put a flat black paint job on it at least> Can one of u guys w/ the 8 1/2" torque thrusts, weigh one and tell me how much it weighs, if u haven't mounted them yet ????? thanks, bob

Yeah Dougs full length headers and Jegs exhaust for me. Not the most expensive or the nicest stuff on the market but it should work well and I'll have just over 600 bucks into it.

I think u should put a flat black paint job on it at least> Can one of u guys w/ the 8 1/2" torque thrusts, weigh one and tell me how much it weighs, if u haven't mounted them yet ????? thanks, bob

I will see if I can find a scale so I can weigh one for you. The hood will be flat black because it's a green 340 hood I found after buying the car.. as for the rest of it though, it would look like a flat black ocean down the side of the car. This car was defiantly a daily driver for someone and has suffered a lot of parking lot wars. Eventually I will just do the body work and paint it the right way.

I'm diggin it!! I'm somewhat going along the same lines with my 72 Duster, got an all new brake system, fuel system and front suspension but I don't plan to touch the exterior body for at least a year or 2.
Working on getting the interior cleaned up and one color now.

Looking forward to seeing more of your build

IMG_1499.JPG

I'm diggin it!! I'm somewhat going along the same lines with my 72 Duster, got an all new brake system, fuel system and front suspension but I don't plan to touch the exterior body for at least a year or 2.
Working on getting the interior cleaned up and one color now.

Looking forward to seeing more of your build

View attachment 1715037597

Cool Duster I'll have to read through your build tonight. Once its running and driving I will tackle the interior as well. Probably nothing fancy just clean and mostly stock. I really like what 72bluNblu did with the rallye dash so I might try something similar.

Tires got mounted so I couldn't resist setting them in place. I love the way it looks, should have the 8 3/4 in this weekend and off jack stands to see how it sits. Checked them on the Duster and they fit perfectly.

IMG_6571.JPG

IMG_6575.JPG

IMG_6570.JPG

IMG_6568.JPG

-
Back