RB Cooling in 70 A bodies

-

Cazbah362

Reaction score
OK, I know I can not be the only person experiencing this. Have a 440 in a 71 Dart with aluminim pump housing, stock pump and about a 3" aluminum radiator. Well the clearence between the flex fan and radiator is a premium, about 3 to 4 inches, just enought to get a MP fan on with no spacer.

Question is, I would like to go with a dual puller electric fans, if you have done this, can you post your combo's (radiator, fans - anything special - fan shroud) and what your temps are.

Thanks

Gonna be pushin your luck in the cooling dept, thats for sure.
Especially with a big block.

There are a lot of pictures out there, but do they actually run em.

You should have no trouble cooling that combo with what you have already. You just may need to add a part or two.

There were some debatable issues with 440 Source aluminum pump housings awhile back. Is that what you have?

There's no reason not to run that mechanical fan. You may well need to add a shroud though. That can make all the difference. You'll also get mixed opinions over flex fans.

I got the best results with a solid, non-clutch fan and shroud while running a 22" copper/brass radiator. (All that has changed now with a blower where there is no room for a fan at all).

What's your initial timing set to. Retarded timing will also contribute to overheating.

Acually running a ProForm Water pump housing, the gap between the two water passages on one side are very close together, not sure if that would make any issues. Have a 2 core aluminum radiator which is good, but can do better, would like a simple brass/copper radiaror with shroud, with a MP fan, non-clutch, always had bet luck with those, dont thik I can get it to fit. So thinking of going with a Champion 26" with two 12" and no shroud, changing the ProForm either a Mancini or MP housing and see where we stand. Issue is thats some coin, and not sure at the moment. The motor is a 425 HP, dynoed with lots more potential.

Also need to set the timing and richen it up - Right now runs at 180 cruising, in traffic, etc. Run it hard down a 1/4, goes to 210 / 215 and will not go back down.

Thoughs?

-
Back