Rear Bumper

-

scuba0331

Reaction score
I screwed up! I have a 1974 Duster and I just had a 1973 rear bumper chromed and as you know it won't fit on to the bumper reinforcement. I figured all of this out at about 4 am this morning!

Can I get a 1973 Duster or rear bumper bracket so I can use the bumper I just had chromed? I guess I could get a 73 valiant bracket as well?

It will be worth the effort, The 73's still have the tucked bumper... ( IMHO the best kind )
You may have to drill the frame rails to support the new brackets...wait, do the 74 rears mount with shocks or steel mounts? ( can't remember ) If they use the steel "strap" mounts, I think the holes in the frame will be ok, if they use the "shock" mounts you will definitely need to drill some new ones.

It will be worth the effort, The 73's still have the tucked bumper... ( IMHO the best kind )
You may have to drill the frame rails to support the new brackets...wait, do the 74 rears mount with shocks or steel mounts? ( can't remember ) If they use the steel "strap" mounts, I think the holes in the frame will be ok, if they use the "shock" mounts you will definitely need to drill some new ones.

Yes, the shock mounts are whats used to attached to the frame rail. I guess I can just get bumper brackets for a 70 to 73 Duster, right? Is there anything else I would need?

Thanks for the help!

Yes, the shock mounts are whats used to attached to the frame rail. I guess I can just get bumper brackets for a 70 to 73 Duster, right? Is there anything else I would need?

Thanks for the help!

That should do it. I am putting a 70-73 bumper on my 75 Duster. It can be done. You will need to drill some holes in the back of the car for the brackets but thats about it.

Thanks Burnt! I thought you tucked your bumper by drilling the shocks out and pushing it in?

good luch with the endevor 1974 started the higer impact standards thats why the bumper mounts changed

Look in my picture gallery for more photos.
vbpgimage.php

In the middle of the same conversion my self, you will have to make a bracket of some sorts because when using the metal brackets only one hole on each side will line up correctly on the car. The other one lands in the spot where the shock style went through the cross member. Not a big deal though

There is a bit of a gab on the sides however, not a big deal. Its there because they changed they quarter panel where it meets the rear cross member

-
Back