Rear-end questions

-

Joe334

Reaction score
I just bought an 8 3/4 ( 741 case) the other day and got it tore apart today and it is without suregrip and has 2.76 gears. I was wondering if ring and pinion gears out of a 742 case would fit in a 741 case? Also, i am in need of a suregrip assembly, what is the going rate for these? And if anyone has one for sale? Also can they interchange between different rear-ends? Like maybe a suregrip out of a 8 1/4 fit into mine? From the way things are giong, it looks like i will have about $1,000 into this. Which isnt what i was hoping for.
Thanks,
Joe

Sorry to tell you Joe but you can't use gears from a 742 case in your 741 case and a 8-1/4 SG unit won't work either. No gears from any case style will interchange. There is 2 styles of sure-grip units for the 8-3/4 and either will work in any case though. Your probably better off looking for a complete unit allready set up. I've seen them go for $350-600 depending on condition and parts used in them. Recently a buddy of mine had a rebuilt one for sale with 3:23 gears (I think) and I think he wanted $500 for it. Don't know if he still has it or not. If your interested I can check. He does top quality work.

i dont like buying stuff off ebay, i dont really trust any of those guys on there.

With a little shopping and keeping your ears open you should be able to find a decent pig. I paid $350 for the 4.10 in my duster. Try to stay away from the 741 cases unless you're just doing a cruiser. Look for either a 742 or 489. Either one will work. 3.55 or 3.91 gears are probably the highest demand, therefore the highest priced. good luck.

don

741's are really under rated. They have the same pinion diameter as the 8.8 ford and the 12 bolt chevrolet so don't pass on one of it is a sure grip and the right ratio that you want. They are a lot tougher than we give them credit for. I ran one in my drag car for a season with no ill effects.

Ya i already have it, and i doubt i can find a stronger case let alone one in my price range. Im not going to be drag racing this car, its just going to be a mild street car i suppose. All i have in this car is a 318 with some mild aftermarket parts.

-
Back