REAR LENGTH

-

A/MP

Reaction score
Time to pull the 7 1/4 out of the '65 Dart. A local shop owes me a few favors and they will cut, weld and install a Dana that I have. Knowing that the wheelwells are tight, will a rear shorter than an A body length help with installing a larger tire like a 10.5 slick? THX

The limit with a narrowed rear housing is the clearance to the leaf springs. They can be moved inboard to gain a couple of inches, and then with careful wheel offset selection, you MIGHT squeeze a 10 inch tire in there. But it's going to be really tight.

So, lets shoot for a 9" slick. Take 1/2" or 3/4" or 1" from each side of the total rear length?

The final width of the housing/axle flanges depends on the offset of the wheel you plan to use. Mark or note the side to side pinion position, it will be on the right side of the cars centerline. Then I would suggest you remove the old rear end, and mock up the actual slicks and wheels in place. Make sure you allow for clearance when the suspension compresses. With the tires and wheels in the desired location, and the car at the desired ride height, measure the distance between the wheel mounting flanges. Then you know exactly the correct width you need.
When you narrow the new rear end, make sure you allow for the proper pinion offset. Most MOPAR's have the pinion 1-3/8 to 1-3/4 inches to the right.

your leaf springs are what have to be moved first, then the wheel house has to be widened. then shorten the axle to suit the backspacing of the rims you want to use. you can adjust how the tire positions in the wheel house with different backspaced rims but you can't go larger on the tire if it wont fit in the wheel house or if it is too close to the leaf spring.

plenty of cars hooking hard and going fast on 8 inch slicks. unless your going for the "look" or street racing where traction is everything on a non prepped surface I'd just go with the 8's. lot of cars yanking the skinnies and running 10's on 8's. total width on an 8 inch slick is like 9-9.5 inches depending on rim width. all race tire manufacture's advertise this or will tell you the exact dimensions thru their tech line.

-
Back