Rear Windshield installation

-

mechanic190

Reaction score
I am going to be installing my rear windshield this weekend or tomorrow just as soon as I can. I have the glass and just got the gasket today, is there anything else I should get before attempting it? When I removed it I just cut the gasket and lifted the glass out to sand and primer car but now that I don't have it in a shop anymore I have to get that glass in. Tips and Tricks wanted also, I've never installed any glass besides door glass. Was gonna take it to a shop but one company wanted $160 even with me supplying the gasket.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/archive/index.php/t-145317.html

Follow the directions that mullinax95 gives. In addition, you don't HAVE to use butyl rope, put the glass in lubed up with glass cleaner, after it dries, and let this flow into the window channel with something like:

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/CRL-Black-PTI-707-Butyl-Rubber-Sealant-/171180845485?pt=US_Hand_Tools&hash=item27db2c69ad"]CRL Black PTI 707 Butyl Rubber Sealant | eBay[/ame]

Forms, flattens, and evens with a rag soaked in mineral spirits drug in the channel, cleans up with it too, it's pretty damn easy.

I would look it up in the service manual.I did front and rear in mine and it wasn't bad but not fun either.

Lay the window seal out in the sun and let it get good and warm. Get a length of white, nylon 1/4" rope about 1 1/2 times the circumference of the glass. Install the warm seal on the glass. Take the rope and install it in the groove where the pinch weld goes starting from the bottom in the center and going around until you come back to the bottom in the center. Leave about 12" or more hanging out where you start the rope. Take some Dawn dish washing detergent and soak the rope in the groove all the way around. Now install the glass bottom first into the pinch weld and get as much of it installed by hand as possible, leaving both ends of the rope on the inside. With someone on the outside, Start with the short end hanging out about the 12" and gently pull it out of the groove at a 90* angle to the pinch weld. This will pull the lip of the seal up and over the pinch weld as you go around. Make sure the outside person firmly pushes against the outside of the glass right where you are pulling the rope out following you as you slowly pull the rope out. It is important that they keep firm pressure against the glass right where you are pulling the rope out, or the rope will just pull out of the groove and not pull the seal over the pinch weld. Once you get it installed, rinse it off GOOD with cold water and let it dry COMPLETELY. Then take a caulking gun and run some clear silicone caulk all the way around the seal in between the outer part of the seal and the pinch weld. You'll need to stick the tip of the calk tube under the seal, between the seal and pinch weld and run it all the way around. Wipe the excess off and let it dry. Done. Never in my life have I ever had to use butyl this or that. It's just that simple.

Thanks rusty that was a good explanation having never done it before I was still a little confused as far as what size rope and couple other things but that was a good explanation special for the slow people like me lol

-
Back