repop rallye dash tachs (are these any good)?

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
Repop rallye dash tachometers, are these any good?

I am not looking for shitty assed comments about how they are made in Chinna. Most of the repop stuff is Chinna , or Taiwan.

What i am looking for is actual user experience with one of these. Good, bad, or otherwise.

I am not interested in paying ridiculous cash for a 45 year old tach that i got to spend even more cash to get restored. Id concider that only if this was a numbers matching formula S or something like that, however this car is just going to be a nice driver, weekend cruiser.

And NO im not cheap, i spend quite a bit on my projects, just wondering thru actual experience of those who bought these if they are any good, or is it a buyer beware hit and miss.

Thanks
Matt

I've got one of the repop tach's in my Duster. It's ok, but it's not the most accurate thing in the world. Fine for a street car, I wouldn't use it if I were trying to set up pinpoint accurate shift points though. Their reliability is a little hit and miss from what I've heard.

Basically, they're fairly expensive because of the application, but function like a cheap tach.

Would i be better off leaving the factory vacuum gage then, and just running a shift light?

I really dont like hanging a tach off my steering column, or screwed to the dash. Especially when theres a spot for one right in the dash.

Another option i thought about was to make a blanking plate out of some 1/8" aluminum plate i have. And cut a hole in it to mount an aftermarket tachometer like an autometer tach inside the cluster.

You can use a Autometer 5897 tach. I haven't done it personally, but there's a thread on it here http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=175614

With that info it shouldn't be too hard to get any 3 3/8" tach into that spot with a little adapting. I bought my repop version used, so I saved a bit of money over buying it new. Using a regular 3 3/8" tach it looks like it would be easy to save $100 over the repop stock kind.

The autometer Z series looks like the numbering will be close to what stock is. I wonder if i could fake it further by getting those gage decals off evilbay just use the tachometer decal over the autometer tach face. Also found a gage made by a company called new venture usa. In ebay type in NVU 1967 tachometer. It looks close as well.

-
Back