Rocker shaft spacing help

-

younggun2.0

Reaction score
i have a 383 with eddy RPM heads and comp cams pro magnum rockers. when i try to install the rocker shaft onto the head the spacers between the rocker arms is too thick. i have a set of mechanical rockers with the springs for spacers. can i use these or do i have to measure and buy exact size spacers? what kind clearance do i want between the rocker body's and the spacers? can anyone tell me how to measure for the correct size spacers?

it maybe that the holds are too wide. these can be trimed to get you some running clearance, about .002"-.003" is enough but you really need just enough so that the rocker arm pivots easily.

Or you could just take the spacers to a machine shop and have them turn them down. In any case make sure the rocker tips are centered over the valve stem. You can put the shafts on without the spacers and center them on the valve stems then measure the space with a dial caliper, then measure the spacer and find the difference and that will be how much to remove from each spacer.

.comp say .015 clearance..mine are .010 and i probably wouldn't go less than .006
.you can buy.015 spacers and use as required

the hold downs are probably the problem , as stated make sure the rollers are centered over the valves then check to see what parts are too wide and adjust accordingly. Don't use the springs between them and set for .015 max clearance , .010 minimum or whatever the spec sheet with them calls for .

-
Back