Rust and vinyl tops

-

zhandfull

Reaction score
Peeled off the vinyl top on the old Dart today. No soft spots in the metal but there is a few areas where there is some pitting. Any tips on dealing with this? I'm thinking about cleaning the **** out of it along with maybe a quick light sand blasting of the area. Then apply some rust neutralizer of some sort, a bit of body filler to smooth out the area, primer then paint.

Will the rust come back? Is the right fix to cut out pitted material and replace? What say the experts or anybody else that has a opinion? :D

Attachments

• 1968 Dart 270 vinyl top 003.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 165
  • 1968 Dart 270 vinyl top 004.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 148
I don't think you should have to cut out light pitting. The key word being "light". The factory didn't prep the roofs well at all. If you prime and paint with quality materials, you shouldn't have to worry about it again.

I guess I've had this dart for at least five years now. I never really liked vinyl tops but this Dart was to good to pass up at the time. Since I bought the Dart the whole vinyl top thing has grown on me and not only on this car.

I'm going to have to make a decision here if I'm going to put it back on or paint only. This Dart had the white top with a pearl look to it.

Attachments

• Anti Tour 2012 053 (Small).jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 137
I like the vinyl tops myself... Just one more part of that era that you don't see on todays cars... Sorry, can't help you for rust advice but mine was way worse than that with huge holes under the top... Had to put a whole new skin on..

New guy here.. I need to do the vynal top on my 72 scamp... Does any place sell a ready made top for these?

Thanks!

In my opinion i would put the vinyl top back , i always like them , you will not need as much prep, and your roof is in really good shape compared to others i seen on here .With the price of paint supplies now compared to a new top , not a whole lot of difference.The last top i bought was around 125 Canadian , for a 71 Swinger. Good luck.

-
Back