Safety gear...overkill?

-

RockinRobin

Reaction score
When I jumped from a 13 second street legal to 10 second drag car, I got a better helmet and wore a full fire suit, SFI shoes and gloves and I have a 5 point harness and a fire extinguisher right behind the shifter where I can get to it. The rules only require a jacket and helmet, which is what I see most bracket racers wearing. After 2 years, I switched from a fire suit to just a jacket, but I still wear all of the other stuff. Maybe I trust my car better now or I'm getting complacent. What about you guys, how far do you go?

Can never be too safe.Hell I wore a fire suit and a Snell helmet running a 13 second Slant Six. What got me was standing in the staging lanes at a big bracket race a guy approached me and said "No Safety Gear ?" I said "Naw not fast enough". He said "It's not you,it's what is coming up behind you in the other lane." I was running 13's, my competition in the other lane was was a 8 second rail dragster......That's when I got the gear.

Can never be too safe.Hell I wore a fire suit and a Snell helmet running a 13 second Slant Six. What got me was standing in the staging lanes at a big bracket race a guy approached me and said "No Safety Gear ?" I said "Naw not fast enough". He said "It's not you,it's what is coming up behind you in the other lane." I was running 13's, my competition in the other lane was was a 8 second rail dragster......That's when I got the gear.

Great advice! Never thought of that before!!

i tell my motorcycle riding buddies, buy the BEST and most gear you can afford
(i once broke my ankle wearing a 200 dollar pair of boots, now i wear a 600 pair)

they dont have snow plows where you are from do they?

i watch them come by here in MI 3 to 4 months out of the year
at 35 MPH they will dray their blades across the street and sparks fly everywhere
those sparks are pieces of the metal plow blades which get hot enough to glow because of the friction with the road, and you see them flying because they are being ripped of the blade

now, imagine your skin being drug across the tarmac at 35 MPH and considering the damage it did to that plowblade, what do you think it would do to you?

(i know, not directly applicable to cars, unless that 8 second rail rear ends you and you exit your vehicle, but the point is, your dealing with some dangerous situations, pray for the best, but prepare for the worst)

a fire system in the engine compart is a great idea for any one that races. I installed one years ago and only needed it two times now. once an oil line came apart at the fitting and the second time the 1" fuel elbow broke off. I do wear a the full safety gear also, boots,one piece suit, gloves, neck brace and full face helmet.
you just never know when you will need the safety gear and fire system.
untitled.png

They will probably make you remove the extinguisher unless its a plumbed in system. They make nice projectiles if they aren't mounted like a nos bottle.

They will probably make you remove the extinguisher unless its a plumbed in system. They make nice projectiles if they aren't mounted like a nos bottle.
Nobody has said anything about it yet, IHRA and NHRA tracks for 2 years. I guess it's bolted down solid enough to pass their tech.

As said above never too safe. I was doing some land speed stuff, 5 layer is what the minimum is, I have a 20. 5 layer will protect from second degree burns for 9 seconds, 20 for 39 seconds. just remember you can not add safety or better equipment in the middle of a wreck or fire.

-
Back