SBP Kelsey Hayes

-

Dust Ya

Reaction score
I have a 70 Duster with 10 in drums. I want to go to disk brakes. Im sure this has been answered many times but couldnt seem to find a difinitive answer. the question is from a functionality perspective, is there any advantage to going to the LBP disk set up over the SBP disk set up? I would prefer to keep the SBP as I have an 8 3/4 rear end with SBP and would like to keep the same rims. I am currently running soild dish 15 in centerlines wich are obviously SBP 5 on 4. So other than wheel selection, are there any other advantages to single piston calipers vs 4 piston? I thought i read that the 4 piston calipers are less reliable. Thank you for any info, always appreciated.

I have 2 Barracudas with KH 4 piston calipers. Never a problem in probably 20 years. Stainless steel brakes redid them both and I only run Dot 5 silicone brake fluid. My son has a 73 Dart and I have 67 Cuda with the LBP brakes. No problem with them either. I see little advantage brake wise to swapping to LBP brakes. It is expensive to swap everything to the LBP and as far as I can tell the main advantage is availability of parts. As for 4 piston calipers, that is what Vipers ran up to 2002?

In terms of the functionality of the brake, there is not a lot of difference, IMO. Both will give even stops and increased resistance to brake fade.

The SBP wheel, particularly the steel ones, are a liability from a functional perspective. Because the bolt is farther removed from the edge of the rim, the wheel has more room to flex with the SBP vs the BBP. I've shed wheel covers going around corners one more than one occasion, in more than one car. So, I know it is not peculiar to a particular vehicle.

I've shed wheel covers going around corners one more than one occasion, in more than one car. So, I know it is not peculiar to a particular vehicle.

Me too!! You are cornering too hard and the steel wheel is flexing. Gave up on hubcaps a long time ago. Rallyes and Cop car wheels are made of thicker steel in the centers.

-
Back