schumaker header help

-

CrazyPete

Reaction score
im having issue installing the drivers side on my 76 383 swap ive got the engine and trans installed and of course i waited till now to install the headers the pass side was simple just had to remove the motor mount bolt and tilt the engine but the drivers side is being a pain the engine wont tilt enough last night i found the instructions and they said you have to remove the steering coloum really? any advise tricks ect would be nice thanks also i got a mini starter for it too how tight is this gonna be to install?

The best way to install the drivers side, is lift the motor on that side. I always install mine as I install the motor. You may want to disconnect the passenger side motor mount, lift the motor enough so you can push it up from the underside of the car. Once the header is up in place, leave it loose so you can install your starter.

Are you running PS, if so it can/will be more complicated, MS its a breeze, I think i was able to install the DS on one of mine with PS (it was a 440), I just lifted the DS as much as possible leaving the PS mount in place just a bit loose, this was on spool mounts, it was a bit tricky but it was easier from the top, once you sneak it passed the steering shaft & it wraps around along the block its home, IIRC, you need to almost go in a straight direction untill it gets low enough.

Just lift the DS as much as possible untill the trans hits the bell housing, but leave the PS mount in place, this way you get more of an even DS lift from the F&R of that side apposed to lifting the hole engine & it mainly just lifts the front of the engine more if you understand what i'm saying.

I found it was just easier to remove steering coloum and i also removed my torsion bar to made it very easy.

thanks guys i have ps i may try just lifting the engine some otherwise i may just remove the colom

got them in today it was pretty easy all things considered i had to remove the pass.side header, remove the motor mount through bolts lift up the engine with the cherry picker and slightly rock the engine. Thanks again next up is finding the starter bolts sat the mini starter in looks like it'll fit. You guys are awesome

got them in today it was pretty easy all things considered i had to remove the pass.side header, remove the motor mount through bolts lift up the engine with the cherry picker and slightly rock the engine. Thanks again next up is finding the starter bolts sat the mini starter in looks like it'll fit. You guys are awesome

See, now was that hard :glasses7:, glad you got it, just takes a little inganuaty (spelling) & patience :coffee2:.

-
Back