Sealing the backseat aluminum plate from the trunk area.

-

Texas Red

Old Flunky
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Race Fans ,
After installing the cage in my Duster I have yet to find a way to "seal off" the gap in my aluminum plate / Trunk area from each other. Knowing safety is of the upmost importance as there is NOT A REWIND BUTTON as one does not get a second chance when a wreck happens. No one wants a wreck to happen but this is where the correct preparation comes into play. I am still trying to figure out a way to seal that gap between the body and the aluminum plate I installed between these two areas them keeping any possibilities of gasoline coming into the driver area.....preventing fire. Please advise a rookie car builder that wants it done right even though I may never race it the car period due to many track closures in the Lone Star state. Thanks in advance as always. Texas Red

I just used paintable urethane seam sealer, but I wasn't too concerned because I made a flange around the complete perimeter of the bulkhead to attach it to. In your case, I know they make a fire-rated caulking/sealer for the building industry. Maybe something like that would work. Do you plan on painting over it? If so, that may be another consideration.

This ought to be an interesting thread I'll be doing this myself, however I'll be using .024 steel because I removed a lot of weight from the rear of my car....I'm going to need the traction

Here's a couple shots of my junk in case it may help with some ideas. I raptor-lined it because I wanted it durable and somewhat finished looking.

1709319570159.png

1709319584654.png

1709319595578.png

Last edited:
depending on the gap size, you have a bunch of options.

if the fit up is pretty reasonable, i like the 3M seam sealer. it comes in a pressurized tube and you just shoot it in there like cheeze whiz and wipe it down with a gloved finger or damp towel like caulking a window frame.

VERY NICE JOb.... Mopowers That looks sharp.... I am definitely going to have to look into some Urethane sealer or the likes as I would like to tell you I still had the factory wheel tubs but the truth is they are gone as well ... as I used a set of wheel tub s in a flat box. Summit wheel tub s in a box are really fun to put together as well. ...&^#@#%^&(((^&%$#$#$ Make you say bad words!!!!!! But once you figure out how to get the seam made plus some mig welding they turned out great as they even got welded to the body for additional strength as well.
I had liked the 3M undercoat spray bomb sold by my Auto paint store but trying to be mindful about anything flammable in the trunk area or otherwise. There has to be options for sure ...just need to beat the bushes.....

-
Back