Shelby Dodges

-

KramerSwinger70

70 Dart Swinger360
Reaction score
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/3354457512.html

found this add on CL and thought it would make a great commuter. cant go wrong with an $1800 turbo shelby right? but it does need some minor things. missing a few parts on the exterior as u see in the pics.

1. Am i the only person who finds this car interesting? I really want to trade my mazda for this!

2. Is there a site for parts? im havin trouble finding anything. type in shelby dodge an u get Carrol Shelby wikipedia an other historical stuff, no parts sites

The downside to the FWD Shelby Dodges (all 80's FWD Dodge, really), is that they break a lot (ahem, A LOT).

Usually it's either the electronics, including the computer, or the transmission.

I never made it a month straight in my 86 CS Daytona.
One of my friends has a GLHS, and it's pretty much the same story.
My brother had a Shelby Charger---same story there too.

If you have a backup for your commutes (and a car doly), you'll be in much better shape.

I was always chasing either a bad wire connection, or a vacuum leak, and went through two shift forks (1-3, IIRC).

The GLHS seems to like to eat computers, and routinely runs on 3 or even 2 cylinders.

My brother was always repairing the shifter linkage, which I hear is extremely common.

On the positive side, they are fast as hell, and get decent mileage, especially so for the Charger/Omni, even by today's standards.

The downside to the FWD Shelby Dodges (all 80's FWD Dodge, really), is that they break a lot (ahem, A LOT).

Usually it's either the electronics, including the computer, or the transmission.

I never made it a month straight in my 86 CS Daytona.
One of my friends has a GLHS, and it's pretty much the same story.
My brother had a Shelby Charger---same story there too.

If you have a backup for your commutes (and a car doly), you'll be in much better shape.

I was always chasing either a bad wire connection, or a vacuum leak, and went through two shift forks (1-3, IIRC).

The GLHS seems to like to eat computers, and routinely runs on 3 or even 2 cylinders.

My brother was always repairing the shifter linkage, which I hear is extremely common.

On the positive side, they are fast as hell, and get decent mileage, especially so for the Charger/Omni, even by today's standards.

What he said....I loved the looks and it was fast...but it was the worst car I ever owned.

Here is a picture...wasn't she purdy? Every time I see one, I want one...then I remember! lol

Paul

19355_1219154002301_589882_n.jpg

That's funny you mentioned the Shelby cars and mileage. I was kind of looking at this GLH Omni with the same thoughts.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/3341363834.html

I must admit wife had a 2000 model year Chrysler 300 and I loved the looks, interior, and ride but what a piece a crap that was also. I had to pay the Toyota dealer to take it. Best car decision I ever made getting ride of that 300.:D

I had an 83 Plymouth Horizon with 2.2 liter automatic.

I changed over to a chevy Vega carb (Holley without the electronic solenoid). Then I filled a rubbermaid trash can with all the emmissions crap I tore off that car.

After that it ran much better.

Family member had one, got to the point that I refused to work on it anymore....

What he said....I loved the looks and it was fast...but it was the worst car I ever owned.

Here is a picture...wasn't she purdy? Every time I see one, I want one...then I remember! lol

Paul
could say the same thing for the Laser RS-Turbo I had (a '90- so the 'mitsubishi eclipse' Laser, not the 'daytona' laser).
The thing ate a timing belt every other year (along with the accompanying bent valves) but also ate a fair number of V-8s.

I started collecting Shelby Dodges after I bought a new Shelby Dakota. By the time I started selling them in the mid 2000s I had 46 of them. Back then turbododge.com was the main forum.
I found out many problems came from improper modifications. It was fairly easy to make more power but it seemed a lot of people started modifying a 100k motor, then wondered why they blew it up. Many wiring harnesses were hacked modding T-1 cars to T-2, etc. The plastic on the tips of the shifting forks will break if you cram the gears. Now they make better bushings for the shifting linkage, which helps, too.
Even stock, a properly running 80s turbo Mopar is a joy to drive.
If you buy the car, do a little research before you tinker with it, and enjoy.
Dallas

Yes this car would interest me. Very affordable and very quick even stock and can be very fast with a few mods... BUT they can be needy... think head gasket (I know some guys could do a head gasket swap them in 20 minutes and they'd last 30k which was about as good as it gets sometimes). They handle well but don't expect a smooth ride. Some are titled as "Dodges", like the one in the ad and others are titled as "Shelbys" like the one based on the Shadow that I had.

could say the same thing for the Laser RS-Turbo I had (a '90- so the 'mitsubishi eclipse' Laser, not the 'daytona' laser).
The thing ate a timing belt every other year (along with the accompanying bent valves) but also ate a fair number of V-8s.

Oh man, my first car was a '91 RS Turbo 5-Speed Laser. I miss that car (long story, my folks split up, my mother took my car with her, gave it to the kid of the guy she was seeing, he blew the engine and flipped it into a ditch)

I worked for my dad, earned that car from my parents and my dad and I completely rebuilt it from the ground up. Rebuilt the engine, upgraded the Turbo, ECM, added an Intercooler, ran a brand new 2.5" Exhaust system from engine to bumper, painted the car (Electric Blue with Formula S style Cuda stripes), I upholstered all of the interior by hand, put in an Alpine Stereo system.

I had it done and ready to drive about a week before my 16th birthday. There wasn't anything wrong with it, but my dad and I felt the need to completely rebuild and upgrade the car. About 2 days before my birthday my mother left and completely emptied the house and took the car too (while my dad and I were away for the day). Hell she even took my birth certificate, social security card, etc (all proof that I existed. I couldn't even get my Driving Permit until my dad filled out a bunch of paperwork to get me a new birth certificate and ss card. That was low)

I had a 86 Shelby Charger, originally a turbo, I put a high output 2.2 in it and circle track raced it. Mopar perf. head gasket, mild cam, Holley 5200 carb, bypassed the computer, won 5 features, sold it to a 15 year old kid and he won 5 features. Only had one dnf(did not finish)when the throttle shaft broke

My cousin had one he got it in 99 with 2500 miles garage kept from the original owner 84 yr old lady within a year he had trashed it. Couldnt drive a stick didnt and still doesnt know what cleaning is and had burnt it to the ground about a yr after he bought it.(Left a lit cigarette in the ashtray)
Black on Black with every option imaginable

i had an 84 charger 2.2 and that thing was an endless can of worms
Me too! Mine was Blue with Silver stripes but they offered the Contrasting Silver with Blue stripes. Mine Blew the Head Gasket early on and was replaced under warranty. After that, I never had a problem.

The one on CL looks pretty hammered and un-loved. I'd own another but it'd have to be a cream puff not all beat to hell like that one. Looks like they played hand ball off the drivers door.

Many comments are correct. If you find a "good" one, these cars can be fun.

I believe the main reason these cars fail is improper modding. People who just swap out a head gasket without making sure the head mating surface is perfectly flat is asking for trouble.

Raising boost without increasing fuel needs is not good either. Running a lot of boost without the proper octane is a big problem too..... Ask me how I know.

Turbo Mopar .com is a better site for help and parts. Good luck with whatever you decide!

-
Back