shifter problem

-

Darren

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey guys tonight my 68 Cuda 4 speed would not shift into reverse so I got under the car and I could shift it into reverse with the shifter rod. I went ahead and removed all 3 shift links off the shifter and still cannot shift into reverse on shifter (original Hurst). Should the shifter (with no rods hooked up ) grab all 4 speeds plus reverse? If so I guess my shifter is the culprit... thanks

Forward gear levers will need to be in center position (Neutral) for reverse
lever to operate.
Side covers are made so one gear at a time when working proper.
Hurst shifters can get gummed up and need cleaned and new grease added.
Shifter rod adjustment on length is very important also and cures most problems.

Another thing that makes me think somthing let go on the shifter is it was working good. And all of a sudden it wouldn't shift over to reverse.

The forward gear short levers will need to be centered (neutral) on the hurst
shifters for spring loaded reverse position to be accessed.
If the stainless steel cover is missing on the bottom of shifter box
gravel can get up in the mechanism and mix with the grease.
I have washed rocks out of jambed hurst shifters to get them to work
proper but that is pretty extreme example of lack of maintence.
99% of the time the problem with a hurst is linkage adjustment issues.
Check operation of both trans and shifter without rods installed. They usually work
fine till the rods are installed at the wrong length and jamb up.

Ok thank you.. I will try that to see if my shifter will shift into reverse without rods connected..

So I put both forward levers of the shifter in center or neutral (with shifter rods unhooked) and still shifter will not shift into reverse..

So I put both forward levers of the shifter in center or neutral (with shifter rods unhooked) and still shifter will not shift into reverse..

You are going to have to pull the shifter and clear it, fix it, or replace it.
I assume you have put a 1/4 rod through the line up hole in the levers on the shifter and tried it, right?

With the neutral set pin in do you get enough side motion to even get to reverse? Is it trying to move the 1-2 and reverse tabs at the same time?

Here's a guy resetting a super shifter that may be helpful.................

[ame]https://youtu.be/bDWB_XIwoak[/ame]

[ame]https://youtu.be/mR0hkFT_YmQ[/ame]

You are going to have to pull the shifter and clear it, fix it, or replace it.
I assume you have put a 1/4 rod through the line up hole in the levers on the shifter and tried it, right?

Yes... but I am pretty sure my reverse lever doesn't have the hole, so I lined it up by eye with the other 2 levers . Is that ok? Thanks

Yes... but I am pretty sure my reverse lever doesn't have the hole, so I lined it up by eye with the other 2 levers . Is that ok? Thanks

I don't know for sure if "lined up" is where it is supposed to be, but if you cant get the shifter itself to move to the side as if going for reverse, then lined up is not where it wants to be.

You should pull that shifter and then you will find the problem I'll bet, as well as learn how the system works.
It makes a lot more sense when you can see it function.

Well I got the shifter out of car. Looks pretty grimy. Still cannot get reverse on shifter when secured in vise. So I guess I will open it up.

Well I got the shifter out of car. Looks pretty grimy. Still cannot get reverse on shifter when secured in vise. So I guess I will open it up.

Git er done. :D
Show us what you find.

Well I got her opened up . Besides really grimy (hardened old grease ) only thing I found that looked like a problem was this "half "thin washer (first pic) and a stick bolt that was worn 35%" it's worse than it looks" (second pic) Can anyone pinpoint where this washer is from? BTW it is a hurst compilation plus shifter. Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-08-15-16-36-46.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 172
  • Screenshot_2015-08-15-16-36-52.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 164
Well I got the shifter all lubed up and back in car . Working pretty good. Thanks guys

Correct. I think shifting into reverse could be a little smother. But I can't compare it to another 4 speed. Maybe I will ask a 4 speed owner at cruise night to try there car lol....Thanks

Correct. I think shifting into reverse could be a little smother. But I can't compare it to another 4 speed. Maybe I will ask a 4 speed owner at cruise night to try there car lol....Thanks

If you have to fight or fiddle with it to get it sideways to move over where reverse is then the levers probably need adjustment.

If you are having a hard time moving the shifter forward or back it's a completely different thing.

-
Back