Sitting time for new motor?

-

rod7515

Reaction score
I have never put a motor or had one built that I didnt start within a month of getting it together. However I think the one I put into the Dart is going to be some time before I get to start it. I was hoping for a March or April start but time is running out as March is almost over. Once April starts I can only work on the Dart on Monday and Tuesday nights only unless it rains on mowing nights Weds/Thursdays.
So the questions I have is how long can a motor sit without startup and not be detrimental to any parts? Maybe I should back off the rocker arms so the springs are not compressed?
Should I try to do a temporary wiring so I could start it? The reason I havent is because the interior is still gutted and theres a lot more work to do before I can get the dash back in. What do you think?
Motor is a stroked 408, 10.5:1 compressor, Solid roller cam, all new valve train, new crank, pistons and rods. How long can it sit before starting with out damaging anything?
Its sitting in the car waiting for me to get to the ready point but it looks like its gonna be a while.

Thanks
Rod

A LONG time as long as you turn it over every now and then and reposition the valve springs.

Im in the same boat cause of financial stuff to put into the car. still waiting on tax money... damn government
I will pour oil on the valve train though so it wont be dry on start up

My GTS 383 has been assembled now for almost a year, with the valve train installed. I turn it over about every other week. I'm sure it will be fine. Did the same with a RR 383 I did a few years ago. That one sat for a year and a half. Ran like a raped ape.

-
Back