Slant six alt.

-

vroom

Reaction score
In my 1975 Valiant/6, I need to replace the brushes on my alternator. I called the auto parts store and they said there are a few different brushes available, concerning amps. How do I find out what amp brushes to use?

If you have a slant with no options you can bet its a 55 amp alt. If not take it apart and take the brush's down there, I would also do the bearings at the same time.

Looked up the alternator for your car at AZ. As typical, they show only 100 amp and a 65 amp so if there is a lower amperage one the case is the same as the 65 and them build all of them to 65 amp rating.

Anyway, perhaps could narrow your choices down a bit by looking at least at these two pictures they show of them.

As a note, used to be a thing that the alternators from some makers had the amps stamped on it.

Hope this helps a bit at least!

Cheers

Hope this works as well. Hope the first pic is the 100amp unit. Has a bracket piece made on with two mounting holes next to each other.

The second pic (I hope) is of the 65 amp that has just the pivot hole at the bottom and then the other bolt screws into the casing.

100amp.jpg

65amp.jpg

Thanks for the info, got it fixed, found a rebuild kit for the alt. and whipped it back into shape. Had a busted positive rectifier causing low amp output, the brushes were not as bad as I expected, I still replaced them and put the old pair away for an emergency repair.

-
Back