small block crank

-

Rabid Transit Garage

Reaction score
New to FABO and I thought I would ask a question I believe I know the answer to but would like more input. I have a 340 and went to install it in front of a 727 and the torque converter hub would not fit in the pilot of the crank. I believe the crank is from a 273 but I have not found any information to confirm this. Any info would be appreciated.

1974 Dart Sport / 318
1967 Dart Gt / 340
1967 Barracuda /400

Yes, it is likely a 273 crank. Early 273's had a smaller register for the converter hub. I found out the hard was a long time ago. I don't recall what year around the mid-60's they went to the common, larger size.

I had that issue a long time ago. A friend ground it out with a die grinder because I was at work and had a race to go to the next day. It may not have been the "right" way to do it, but he was very careful, grinding it out bit-by-bit, and I don't recall any issues.

The alternative is disassembly for a visit to a machine shop or another crank, or a converter with a small snout.

Check to make sure that there is no pilot bearing in the crank from a manual this happened to me recently. frustrated the hell out of me untill I figured it out

Yes, it is likely a 273 crank. Early 273's had a smaller register for the converter hub. I found out the hard was a long time ago. I don't recall what year around the mid-60's they went to the common, larger size.

I had that issue a long time ago. A friend ground it out with a die grinder because I was at work and had a race to go to the next day. It may not have been the "right" way to do it, but he was very careful, grinding it out bit-by-bit, and I don't recall any issues.

The alternative is disassembly for a visit to a machine shop or another crank, or a converter with a small snout.

I think the 1967 was the last year for the small torque convertor register hole.

-
Back