Spline?

-

bthieson

Reaction score
I currently have a slant 6 72 Duster. I did a front disc brake conversion two years ago, but I'm still using the old 5/4 bolt pattern. I am very eager to switch over to the 5/4.5 pattern, but the rear end is limiting me. I don't have the coin to completely change out my rear end at this point. Is it possible to just swap out the spline? I'm not too knowledgeable in this area and any help would be appreciated.

What is the number that is associated with the splines? I see 28 or 31 spline for example. What measurement is that?

I plan on making my car a little bit of a horse power monster down the road, but before I get to the engine I just want to get my wheel situation figured out. I will swap out my rear eventually, but I'm not ready for that yet. Is replacing the splind what I would need to do to change the bold pattern?

no the spline count is the number of "teeth" that are on the inside end of the axle shafts. Don't know how you could change a 7 1/4" rear to big pattern. The change to a 8 1/4" rear would be much easier and much cheaper.

I'm assuming that you have a 7 1/4 rear in your car at this time. If this is the case, I beleive that there are mid-70s 7 1/4 rears with the larger bolt pattern, but I am not sure if you can just swap out the axles. Someone should come along shortly and let you know for sure. Back to the 8 1/4 rear. From what I understand those rears will handle up to 400hp without problems. Mike

dusterdon said:
no the spline count is the number of "teeth" that are on the inside end of the axle shafts. Don't know how you could change a 7 1/4" rear to big pattern. The change to a 8 1/4" rear would be much easier and much cheaper.
How is that for hooking up to the drive shaft? Is it just straight in?

From 73 on up all 10" drum brake cars and disk brake cars were 5 on 4.5" weather they had a 7 1/4 or an 8 1/4. No you cannot just swap axles from a big bolt pattern 7 1/4 to a small bolt pattern 7 1/4. the bearings are totally different and not interchangeable. If you want big bolt pattern in the rear your best bet money wise is to find a big bolt pattern 8 1/4 in a yard. Look for V8 A-bodies. The drive shaft should be shortened a bit going from a 7 1/4 to an 8 1/4.

-
Back