Spotting a fake

-

fzmax

Reaction score
If the stars line up correctly I am getting a shot at scoring a fairly rare car. If it is what they say it is, it would be worth the time, money and effort to restore it. If it's not, then I'm looking at a car with a swapped VIN that's obviously not worth nearly as much, if anything at all.

The car is a 68, other than the VIN tag on the dash, the sequence number on the radiator support and under the trunk weatherstripping, is there any other place I'd find the VIN stamped on the body?

If I get it or not I'll post up the details after I see it. Thanks in advance.

The rarity/value of a car also has to do with the options that are on the fender tag, this is much easier to forge than the VIN number so be careful there.

The last item that effects the value is whether it's numbers matching. That is the engine s/n, tranny s/n and VIN all match.

You really need to research the car to ensure that you know what you are getting.

Thanks Dave. I'm OK with that aspect of it, my concern is that what looks like a GTS might be a slant six car with a swapped VIN. I just want to be sure the car I'm looking at has the valid VIN.

Where the VIN numbers are stamped on the car depends on the year. Most all cars 1969 and up have the VIN number stamped on the trunk lip. Think upside down...you stick your head in the trunk while standing on the ground and look back at your crotch, sort of up under the lip of the trunk rim by the lock mechanism. This may not be true with 68 and older cars, and may not be the case on a plant by plant basis, but I believe the Detroit built cars are all this way. 1968 and older cars may not have this, and the further you go back the less likely it will be that any numbers are stamped anywhere but the VIN tag, which is on the door jamb before 1968. My 67 Cuda and GTX do not have any numbers stamped on the radiator support or anywhere else. If you can get under the car, part of the VIN is stamped on the trans on 69 and later cars also. Post the year and model of the car and maybe the more informed owners of that particular year and model can chime in with some exact locations. Geof

I just parted out a Satellite that was just a shell. I thought ALL 68 didn't have the VINs stamped on the body, however this car did. I am not sure where they are on an A body, but you may be able to verify that way. Just a thought.

-
Back