Spring relocation kit?

-
What's the best way to remove the old spring perches? I have an angle grinder. Don't have a "heat wrench" but I might be able to round one up.

I'm going to try to use a angle grinder myself. I took loose the right side this morning. I need to get the perch cut loose and out of the way. I think my friend has one so I'll be calling him shortly. My offset kit with new perches suppose to be here Tuesday.

What is a heat wrench?

Ok got a little progress going. I have the offset shackle and hanger on the right side, leaf spring mounted, and the axle sitting in the perch. I will install the shock plate and U-bolts and then move to the left side of the car.Spot check me and see if I'm doing something wrong here. I've never done this before.

I would like to get both sides ready to tack weld before my friend brings his welder.

I forgot the picture!

Hey Dave......What do you mean by " This is a good time to set you wheels back 1" inch if you choose to do so. May requires drilling holes in the shock mount plates."

Cuda boot area 029.jpg

This would be a good time to replace the axle seals also!

Yeah I'm rebuilding as I go. I got new wheel cylinders, gaskets, seals, brakes, etc..

I've heard that they are a ***** to replace and installing without damaging them is hard to do.

The offset kit was really easy but does require some cutting of the frame rails to clear the welded nut on the front hanger that sits against/into the frame rail. I like having more wiggle room and a 255 will have zero issues in my car. The 275 in my car???? the jury is still out until I get my wheels back.

QUOTE]

Is cutting the frame as noted above required on a 67 barracuda...I think the above quote is refering to early a-bodies..

The offset kit was really easy but does require some cutting of the frame rails to clear the welded nut on the front hanger that sits against/into the frame rail. I like having more wiggle room and a 255 will have zero issues in my car. The 275 in my car???? the jury is still out until I get my wheels back.

QUOTE]

Is cutting the frame as noted above required on a 67 barracuda...I think the above quote is refering to early a-bodies..

Yes the welded nut goes to the inside.

I have a 67 Barracuda and I had to cut a hole in the frame Tuesday to get the hangers to mount. I'm waiting on my friend to bring his welder so I can tack the perches and remove the rearend to get to the perches better. Also going to clean and paint the rearend. Going to add new brakelines,shoes, wheel cylinders. I'm going to order new Yukon axles with 3" wheel studs and Green bearings. I might go with a 4.10 gears but I'm still debateing on that. This is fun LOL!

Whats your plan on moving the perches??? and getting them aligned right with the rearend on the garage floor??

After I get the new front-end in the car the rearend is next...

Whats your plan on moving the perches??? and getting them aligned right with the rearend on the garage floor??

After I get the new front-end in the car the rearend is next...

I left the rearend mounted on one side and did the other side then vice versa.

I cut the perch off then installed the new perch and tightened it down with the U-bolts after of course I had already installed the offset shackles and hangers. I am going to recheck everything before the tack welds with the car's weight sitting on the leaf springs. Find a point on the frame that is in the same location on each side and measure to that location and get the same measurement on each side. Check pinion angle also before tack weld. Some people measure between the front hubs and find the center that way but I prefer measuring from a frame location.

Got it done.:toothy7:

New Yukon axles,wheel cylinders,brake shoes,drums,brake lines,U-bolts, 275/60/15 tires. Cleaned and painted everything that I could get paint on. LOL!

Cuda boot area 055.jpg

Cuda boot area 057.jpg

Cuda boot area 067.jpg

Cuda boot area 063.jpg

I just made a set from 1/8" steel, boxed and welded them in.

I hear ya!

I just used the offset kit because I didn't need much more room than that. The 235/75/15 and Rallye wheel only had a 1/2" between the tire and leaf spring. Now I have 275/60/15 with a 15 x 8 wheel with 2" between the tire and leaf spring.

mullinax95, did you finally go with the 4.5" backspacing?

Yes. On the Weld Prostar wheels that would be 0 offset. That might be the same for all wheels not sure but 0 offset will give you 4.5 backspacing. The wheel is a 15 x 8.

-
Back