stainless steel vs aluminized steel, mandrel bent vs regular bent

-
Hey 7Demon2...

I saw you bumped this thread....so thought I would update.

I ended up fgetting a Magnaflow stainles steel kit from performancepeddler.com for $350 (usually $500 everywhere)....

Thats where it gets into a really long story...LOL...but will keep it short....

Got the kit and mocked it up myself and realized that it wasnt going to line up right with my headers...the inlet pipes have to be cut on each end, plus it looked like mine would need to be bent/tweaked some.....so I decided, rather than screw up the pipes, to take it to a shop.

Took it to the first shop...a local Meineke....picked them for a few reasons....mostly because they said they did custom bending and they were very close....driving my car with open headers to the shop wasnt an issue.

Well, that shop screwed up the install....

DCP_0118.jpg

DCP_0116.jpg

If you look closely you can see that the whole system is about 6 inches too far to the left side....it was beating off of the floorboards. By the time I got it home, the muffs were hanging crooked and all.

So that started a big issue with the shop....they said it was the best they could do and I ddnt accept that....I contacted Magnaflow who confirmed it was very wrong...BBB got involved etc....what ended up happening was that they paid for new inlet pipes and collectors and refunded the install cost so I could go elsewhere to have it redone. Itwas a real battle though.

SO, I took it to another shop...another Meineke, recommended to me by someone. This guy spen tabout 4 hours redoing it. He had to tweak several sections of the kit to make things fit right. In the end it looks great....

DCP_0155.jpg

DCP_0151.jpg

DCP_0153.jpg

DCP_0157.jpg

EXCEPT that the right tailpipe is a bit crooked out the back.....I have come to the conclusion that my right rear side of the car sags a bit and over bumps the exhaust is hitting the axle ab it....causing the tailpipe to do this.

I cant really hold the shop responsible for that.

So I am living with it til I can put some add-a-leafs or new springs in. Was considering air shocks but I have heard those arent good for e-bodies, though they would be a quick fix.

I love the sound of the exhaust....loud enough for me while just cruising without being obnoxious, and she soudns awesome when I open her up!

what size pipe is that? looks good the second time around, can't say that about the first attempt! if it is 2 1/2 inch pipe then get the guy to heat the bend around the axel and get it cherry red then he will be able to bend it over or up a little to clear the axle. i have had to do this in the past as well. springs as you say also will help if it is sagging some too! looks like a great system. so how do you like it? how does it sound? do you see or feel any gains from what you had on it before?

Its a 2.5".

Yeah, I like it a lot.....Cant tell you if I experienced any gains.....only drove the car with open headers for a short burst...

I think it sounds awesome. :)

Not real happy , though, with it supposedly being a "bolt on system" and then turning out to be anything but.

yeah i know what you mean about the bolt on systems. the tti's i got for the demon were pretty much perfect but still required alittle tweeking at the manifolds. other than that though they were spot on. yours will be easy to fix. you are 99% perfect now whats another 1%?! gotta admit alot of the problems were do to the first installer..... they can also straighten the rear pipe as well with the same method i had mentioned before about heating it up. really no big deal....

Our roadrunner... TTI 3 inch mandrel bent system with X-pipe. Why? FLOW... if we were going to buy an exhaust, we wanted a good one that was gunna let the engine breath as much as possible. It's aluminized and after 3-4 years it still looks great. I think aluminized is fine unless it's something you'll be driving every day in a place like PA, with a lot of rain, winters, etc.

-
Back