Starter heat soak ????

-

bryan340

Reaction score
My duster has been acting funny when starting up after it has been driven up to operating temp (180*) After shutting off and sitting for a couple of minutes it will either crank slowly or hardly crank at all. I'm thinking the starter needs replacing, it is 5 years old and surrounded by tti headers. Battery is brand new and alternator was rebuilt last year. Just want to confirm before I throw a starter at it . Thanks

if it cranks normally again once it's cooled off, then I'd say your diagnosis is bang on.

My '66 289 mustang with headers used to cook starters pretty quickly (like 2-3 months quickly). I then painted a starter white before I put it in, and I never had another problem. Amazing how much less it gets baked when it isn't black.

if it cranks normally again once it's cooled off, then I'd say your diagnosis is bang on.

X2, I had the same problem, either go with a mini starter, if that is the problem, or you can wrap the starter motor with some high temp heat wrap. I did that on mine and so far so good.

I bought a 12" by 12" piece in a package at NAPA and put it just around the motor itself.

X2, I had the same problem, either go with a mini starter, if that is the problem, or you can wrap the starter motor with some high temp heat wrap. I did that on mine and so far so good.

I bought a 12" by 12" piece in a package at NAPA and put it just around the motor itself.

I would agree. Wrap it or replace it with a Mopar mini starter.

Ministarter is the only way to go in my opinion. It will solve your issue.

The starter I have on it is a mini starter, I will rap it next time for sure ! Where is the best place to order one ?

Alright, I replaced the starter with the one suggested above. Started the car thought everything was good, don't celebrate yet, went for a ride about 20 minutes to my brothers, parked, tried to start, does the same thing !!!!!! I tested battery, alternator, clean bulk head connector and used electrical grease. This problem always happens when car is warm, but doesn't always do it. It gives u one crank at thats it, come back later and it starts right up. Anyone else with any suggestions:banghead::banghead:

my challenger used to heatsoak like a b**@!. really annoying. wraping the starter just holds in the heat it gets from the motor. the mini starter comes with heat shielding for a reason but some people take it off due to fitament issues. if you dont have any, make some from aluminum. if you have the factory shield, see if you have room to add a second layer. i think TTi says not to wrap thier headers but...

good luck

It's doing it even when car is not warm, I dont know that wrapping it would make a difference. Also would timing affect it, it just gives me one crank and then struggles to turn over again. It was doing it for the last halfe hour, then I figured what the heck i'll try again and voom fired right up.

at this point i would disconnect and clean ALL the connections (and battery too) from the battery to the starter and everything in between. if the battery cables are the least bit iffy change them

good luck

It's doing it even when car is not warm, I dont know that wrapping it would make a difference. Also would timing affect it, it just gives me one crank and then struggles to turn over again. It was doing it for the last halfe hour, then I figured what the heck i'll try again and voom fired right up.

If it appears to be kicking back when you try and start it it could be timing. It sounds, from your description, to be something else though. I would have sworn it was the starter. Mine had exactly the same symptom and a new starter cured it. Almost as if the battery was dead.

If it appears to be kicking back when you try and start it it could be timing. It sounds, from your description, to be something else though. I would have sworn it was the starter. Mine had exactly the same symptom and a new starter cured it. Almost as if the battery was dead.
sometimes changing a part just fixes the bad connection you had to begin with :banghead:

just keep repeating "i love working on my car, i love working on my car, i love working on my car..."

sometimes changing a part just fixes the bad connection you had to begin with :banghead:

just keep repeating "i love working on my car, i love working on my car, i love working on my car..."

In my case it was the starter. It tested bad when I pulled it. It would turn over but didn't have enough energy to turn the engine over.

my dart does this.

cold, it wurs perfect.

wur wur wur wur wur fire...

hot..

wwwuuuuurrrrr....wuuuurrrrr fire..

like the battery is dying.

I am also working through this issue. Engine starts easy cold and bucks back when hot. Double checked timing, grounds and Battery. Called TTI and asked if this was a problem they encountered before- was told no. The only change made before having this issue was a swap from Headman Headers to the new 1-7/8 TTI's. I am also using the Mini Starter. If you decide to wrap your starter let us know if the issue goes away.

Having the EXACT same problem! Your issues are spot on with mine. Changing the timing didn't help. I have the original GIANT starter wedged inside my header and was seriously thinking of replacing it with a mini. Please let me know if you figure it out.

just remembered having the same problem with my '90 Laser RS-T.

Wouldn't crank while hot- had a fairly new battery, so I changed the starter (no easy feat in one of those cars lol) and ended up with the same problem. Because it would start after it cooled off, I ruled out the battery. And the voltage was always good, no problem running the accessories while it wouldn't crank...
A dead short in the battery ended up being the trouble.

-
Back