Steering shaft pin

-

nodemon

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Which direction is this pin driven out..?
Any tips pulling column out..?

20230313_175815~2.jpg

20230313_175837~2.jpg

Should go either way, but drive it out in the direction that it's already protruding.
Soak the splines with penetrant and use a pickle fork to work the coupler off the splines.

I think it should be pressed out. If you are using a drift punch, support the input shaft of the steering box so you don't side load it with the hammer whacks.

Use the correct tool for the job.
Your first photo (green circle) looks like the pin has been damaged.

Screenshot_20230313-190157.png

The pin is 5/16. Make sure your punch is slightly smaller than that. Many get lulled into using a larger punch and then can't figure out why it won't work. The hole is counter-bored oversize for the first 10th of an inch or so so the split pin can get started

Pin punches are one of those things that need to be good quality, and a good assortment. Once you have nice ones, you won't regret the purchase. Good advise above - penetrating oil, start on the side that's not goofed up.

I agree in using a press of sorts.

I started CAD to make one, just need someone with machineing abilities to make it.

It's pretty simple, a bolt on doughnet clamp with a threaded rod that has a rollpin punch on the end.

Tighten the threaded rod and the roll pin comes right out. No hammering needed.

I agree in using a press of sorts.

I started CAD to make one, just need someone with machineing abilities to make it.

It's pretty simple, a bolt on doughnet clamp with a threaded rod that has a rollpin punch on the end.

Tighten the threaded rod and the roll pin comes right out. No hammering needed.
i've used a big C-clamp with a deep socket on one side and short punch. also used a motorcycle valve spring compressor that worked a treat too.

but i agree, something to support the assembly and not put force on the steering input is critical.

like all things in life, a positive out come is a product of heat, lube, pressure and angle of attack.

Actually it is a tension pin, split pin is what we call a cotter key or cotter pin.

tension pin.jpg

I ground the threads off a 1/4" by 3" bolt.

It's a "perfect" fit and the bolt head is fairly easy to strike with a hammer.

It's just a split pin. There is zero reason to be pressing it out.
Thank you! It does not come out that hard that it would damage the gear box. I think we get a little too nuts on here at times. Mine tapped out...not pounded out, tapped out and tapped back in.

Since I didn’t see where anyone else mentioned it . I’ll say it. Use a good,new,roll pin since the original is all boogered up. It’s your steering after all!

-
Back