stupid question? Post car?

-

moparfreak77

Reaction score
I have seen this on other sites before were they call it a "68 post car".
Then I have noticed the differences between 2 68 darts. One has a "triangle" side glass (1/4 window) and the other one has the same one as on my 68 valiant, where it is flat on the top. Why did they they make 2 body styles? it maybe a dumb question, but I cant learn otherwise! :) thanks

The post car is called a sedan. The car with no post is called a hardtop, sometimes called a hardtop convertible. Apparently there is more metal in the roof to give it strength. The post car doesn't need that extra strength. The post car is considered stiffer and lighter, more popular for racers.

I think a sedan was more like an old mans car wheras a hardtop was considered sporty for the younger crowd. Chrysler just offered the different styles to appeal to different markets I think.

My '65 Barracuda is a hardtop (no post) and I love it, but I just bought this '69 Valiant post car and I'm starting to love it too! Very different beasts but the same A-body package.....

Thanks a lot, that does help!
I have been looking at your post about your "new" Valiant. Looks like a great starting point. I really like the look of the dart nose. I would be interested to know where you get your parts from as I need a few things. good luck.

Only just found this thread....

I've been going to a guy in Northern New York. He's really a hobbyist gone wild with about 200 Mopars in his field. He's registered as a wrecker/scrap metal dealer and I guess he's doing it full time. He's really reasonable but if he thinks you're trying to rip him off or just buying **** to resell, he'll tell ya to take a hike and never come back!

Like 65s said, they are called 2dr sedans, it was a more plain jane car kind of like the old "business coupes" from the 40's and 50's. The "post" term is a chevy term if it really matters to you. Some guys will get all weird on you when you call them "posts". these are the same guys that don't like us calling our locking diff's "posi" instead of suregrip. Their pretty cool cars, my '65 Valiant is a 2dr sedan.

Chuck

-
Back