Summit mech. fuel pumps?

-

JoeDust451

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a higher volume pump for my 360, right now it has a parts house pump thats putting out 7 lbs., but i'm not sure of the volume, I would just get a holley or Carter M6902 that freeflow about 110, But there 100.00 or more, just can't swing that, so i'm looking at the Summit pumps for 65.00, they either free flow 80 or 110 (choice of 2), I also am looking at these other 2 Carters, but i don't know what they flow, The M60980 (56.99) & M60519. (33.99), anyone know about any of these pumps?

i recently purchased the carter mech 120 GPH i think its 7/8 psi,, from a local speed shop that priced matched summit,, 79.00

ive been running the same pump for 11 years, but was time to replace it,,on a 340 blower motor with 2 holly 650,s re worked to 862 cfm each,,

this is a great pump for the street strip for a cheap price,,you will need a fuel pressure regulator with this pump,,,

but i believe they have a 5/6 psi version also,, cant beat it,,

i recently purchased the carter mech 120 GPH i think its 7/8 psi,, from a local speed shop that priced matched summit,, 79.00

ive been running the same pump for 11 years, but was time to replace it,,on a 340 blower motor with 2 holly 650,s re worked to 862 cfm each,,

this is a great pump for the street strip for a cheap price,,you will need a fuel pressure regulator with this pump,,,

but i believe they have a 5/6 psi version also,, cant beat it,,

What is the part # for this carter pump? 79.00 is fairly reasonable for a 120 gph pump. ( I think i found it) M6270.

I did alittle checking, i was told a formula for calculating what GPH is needed for a curtain HP, If this is right, gas weighing 6.2 lbs., to supply 450 hp @ 7 lbs. pressure, i'll need 50.6 gph, 55 to supply 500 hp at 7 lbs. I know they rate most all pumps at "freeflow", so i would think an 80 gph pump should support 450-475 comfirtably.

I found these 3, which would be better, i'm alittle nervous about the carter because of there resent issues.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-12-838/?rtype=10

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRT-M6270/?rtype=10

Now on this one its a stock style, but it "free flows" 120 gph at 5.5/6.5 psi for 31.99, why wouldn't this be a better deal then the M6270 thats 79.95 & flows the same.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRT-M6866/

Just curious as to what have you heard about the "recent issues with Carter"? I ask because I used to have great luck with Carter pumps "back in the day". Now I have 2 of them sitting on the bench that are a little over a year old each and both drop pressure off to next to nothing after the engine warms up. I can't find rebuild kits either so their worth about .50 for scrap aluminum IMO. A used pump given to me by a friend solved the fuel pressure issue so they are apparently bad.

We have ran pumps at 6 1/4 PSI on race engines up to 750 HP without any issues on gasoline. The volume wouldnt need to be a huge number on a smaller engine unless you had a dual quad set up or three duece set up.

Just curious as to what have you heard about the "recent issues with Carter"? I ask because I used to have great luck with Carter pumps "back in the day". Now I have 2 of them sitting on the bench that are a little over a year old each and both drop pressure off to next to nothing after the engine warms up. I can't find rebuild kits either so their worth about .50 for scrap aluminum IMO. A used pump given to me by a friend solved the fuel pressure issue so they are apparently bad.

See this is what concerns me, i don't know what there problem is lately. But i can tell you this, if your looking for a decent pump quality wize, go to O'Reilly's, heck even summit carries them, the pumps are from "airtex", i'm sure there American made (holly crap did i say that), i'm haveing really good luck with mine, i'll have to do a volume test, it holds a steady 7 psi. The part # is 6866.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...odge&model=Dart&vi=1405202&pt=C0401&ppt=C0025

We have ran pumps at 6 1/4 PSI on race engines up to 750 HP without any issues on gasoline. The volume wouldnt need to be a huge number on a smaller engine unless you had a dual quad set up or three duece set up.

Thats good to know, maybe i'll be fine with the pump i have, I mean its just a milder 360 mag., just wanted to have enough for an acassional 100 shot every now & then, i don't see why it wouldn't do it, its only an extra .053" single jet.

ill have to dig out the box,,but if you found some thing you like get it,,, i was just saying,, i like the carter pumps i have been using,,

rebuild kits ??? call fedrel mogual thats who owns cater pumps,,they can point you to a rebild kit,,

also there is a guy /company in CT that rebulds out of production fuel pumps,, i wish i still had his name and number to pass along to you,,

i got it from fedrel mogal tech people,,

See this is what concerns me, i don't know what there problem is lately. But i can tell you this, if your looking for a decent pump quality wize, go to O'Reilly's, heck even summit carries them, the pumps are from "airtex", i'm sure there American made (holly crap did i say that), i'm haveing really good luck with mine, i'll have to do a volume test, it holds a steady 7 psi. The part # is 6866.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...odge&model=Dart&vi=1405202&pt=C0401&ppt=C0025

Thanks Joe I'll keep that in mind. Right now it's working fine with the pump my buddy gave me so I'll run it as long as it works.

ill have to dig out the box,,but if you found some thing you like get it,,, i was just saying,, i like the carter pumps i have been using,,

rebuild kits ??? call fedrel mogual thats who owns cater pumps,,they can point you to a rebild kit,,

also there is a guy /company in CT that rebulds out of production fuel pumps,, i wish i still had his name and number to pass along to you,,

i got it from fedrel mogal tech people,,

I thought about calling them, then a buddy gave me a good pump so it's working good for now. Maybe they can give me that fellows number. Thanks for the tip.

-
Back