Surface rust

-

Reaction score
My parts engine/truck is sitting outside, I opened the hood to find a coating of surface rust on the deck and in the cylinders. Its been raining here hard last few days off and on. Getting in there somehow.

I am concerned with the humidity that the engine in the truck I care about may also have problems, its prob. going to be sitting a few months while I am working on my education of these slants.

What do you guys recommend as a coating. I dont think oil is going to cut it. Someone recommended something to me while talking on the phone but I cant remember what he said.

Id like to get something in there down in the rings ect so I dont have any problems.

Attachments

• Picture 542.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 158
  • Picture 543.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 160
Steel Wool used with motor oil. Then, wipe with shop towel.

If it will be sitting like that for a while, I'd get a paint brush and keep a thin coat of oil on the surfaces until you get ready to put everything back together.

Looks like they are making white lithium grease in a spray... I never used spray only the stuff that comes in a grease gun tube.

I stored a 1927 Buick short block that I had coated with it for over 12 years and there was no rust.

Cosmoline grease, and I'm not sure that would be a long term solution. I guess it depends on how long.

1/2 quart of oil & mix it with 1/2 can of STP. Mix it well. The STP will make it gooey & keep it stuck to the parts. Brush it on with acid brush or a paint brush for larger areas.

1/2 quart of oil & mix it with 1/2 can of STP. Mix it well. The STP will make it gooey & keep it stuck to the parts. Brush it on with acid brush or a paint brush for larger areas.
STP, that is what was recommended, thanks

-
Back