Swapping out rear sheetmetal 1974 Swinger to 72

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
The older I get, the less of a purist I am. Never was that pure anyway.
Slap me sill, but I have wanted a 70-2 Swinger (love the lighted back bumper! why? dunno!) project but like most Mopar projects in Tx. overpriced junk. But the 73 (or is it 74?) Swingers with the BIG back bumper etc can sometimes be finagled loose for way less IF you find a guy that finally realizes such is not a hemi Cuda. (Like buying a 70-2 Duster project vs beakers.)

My question is, is trunk lid the same? the quarter end caps? early Swingers have a rear valance no doubt. What do I need to do to change over these models? Or am I confused in my old age...again!? I can get the parts cheap enough to change over from old boneyard if feasible.

Trunk will mount but the lock is different. Functional but different. Can’t picture the rest but I do have some of the sections I have saved off parted out cars.

Can't help, but good luck. I've often thought about converting a later Dart to a Demon just for the look. Correct look/ No.

I have found two prospects in my "$ range" to consider, on the phone and text preliminary haggling. One guy refuses to send a few more pics, he had a grand total of two in ad, or give his location in Houston, til I am ready to make the ride (really????)....and other guy is still stuck somewhat high for me. Funny thing is.....I bet right now on FB Marketplace, there are 500 cars for sale for every one buyer!!! I know, I always have a car or two for sale. :BangHead:

Find a 1973 to start with as they have the same rear end. The front clip will bolt right on and has the same bumper mounting points as well. The only hiccup is the side marker lights changed in 72.

Find a 1973 to start with as they have the same rear end. The front clip will bolt right on and has the same bumper mounting points as well. The only hiccup is the side marker lights changed in 72.
Did the rear bumper in '73 still have the tail lites in it?? My puter research tells me nothing definite and the two cars to go see neither have the lights in bumper but they have titles (or so they say!).

If you had nothing id say you need the 2 quarters the tail panel and quarter extensions and valence and thats it right? how do the trunk floor side extensions work from the 73 on? etc its the little stuff you dont think about that will screw ya in the end. how about the mount point for the 70-72 trunk latch? is that separate? if you are getting the stuff from junk cars id get it all...

Did the rear bumper in '73 still have the tail lites in it?? My puter research tells me nothing definite and the two cars to go see neither have the lights in bumper but they have titles (or so they say!).
I believe the scamp had the 70 dart rear end a few years longer till 73 maybe.

Both these cars are Swingers.
Ok I get it. I wonder if that 73 has the mount points for the 70-72 bumper brackets etc. But Im sure they could be drilled if need be and the 73 sheet metal is identical. Just checked out a picture of a 74 Id think it has to work but not sure whats involved :) the quarter extensions appear to be the same ...id think youd have to maybe drill a hole or two...

I called the sellers. First guy checks title and yep it is a 74. As it looked to be in pics. Second guy says yes, fat fingers.. it is a 76! ha
The 76 is cheap enough but the guy can't send a pic of interior which pisses me off. Obnoxious asshole anyway. The second car is a liitle high IMO but it probably ain't going anywhere soon.
I have had tons of 70-6 Dusters and a couple of Darts Sports. The beaker nose has never bothered me, worse part is the plastic trim on inside of B pillow and tops of doors, and the tiny inside door handle!! Oh and the obnoxious protruding bumpers!

-
Back