Swapping Rearends need brake help

-

4tez

Reaction score
so i'm pretty new to this mopar stuff, and i have my 70 duster with a 7 1/4 rear end and i have another one(1974) that i want to swap in because it has the larger bolt pattern. I was just wondering if there are any precautions i should make in order to change it out.

however the one question i really want answered is when i switch out the rear end is it hard to reconnect the rear brakes?

if theres another post already i would appreciate the link

You might want to see if you can't just swap axles and brakes instead of the whole rearend, unless there are different gears in the newer rearend you want. Really if you're going to change the whole rearend out you might want to just get an 8 1/4 or 8 3/4 or better yet a Dana. Depends what you going to do. If you are going to want to do some serious burnouts then you should go to at least an 8 1/4.

Lee

If your changing the whole rear end the only thing you need to disconnect and reconnect is the brake lines to the wheel cylinders. The fittings should be the same size on both the old and new cylinders. Be sure you bleed them after reconnecting. I hope thats what your looking for. If theres more let us know.

cudasrule said:
If your changing the whole rear end the only thing you need to disconnect and reconnect is the brake lines to the wheel cylinders.

Don't even have to do that. The only line that needs to be disconnected for an entire rear end change is the rubber line that connects to the body of the car. Usually easier to remove it from the distribution block on the axle.

Also, there were some design changes in 7.25 axles. The early ones reatined the axle out at the hub, the later ones used a C-clip. The later ones also have a bigger axle bearing. You need to be careful swaping parts. My recomendation would be to swap entire axle assemblies if you can.

Thanks for the help, i will eventually get a larger rear end later on, but for now I just want to get some larger tires on it and make it have a little meaner stance. I've got a 318 and a 360 not sure exactly what I am going to do with them so for right now I'm just going to have fun with the /6.

so i started removing everything off the other car, and we were surprised to see that the entire rear end is new. new brakes, axles, and gears. not sure why the guy before me did this but at least its less work for me. so we are gonna complete the swap tomorrow

-
Back