The last Shootout, Sacramento Raceway 9-9-23

-

1969cuda

Reaction score
IMG_0025.jpeg

The track has sold and will be closing at the end of the year.

Uhh… the stories about Sacramento Raceway have been all over the map.
It has been for sale since at least 2017. There is a buyer in line but it is not clear when the deal will be finalized. The county will not allow the track to continue as a race course with any new owner.
The Mopar event promoter said that this is his final year doing it. If by some chance the sale and transfer is delayed, there may be more events but don’t count on it.

I’ve been attending the event for almost 20 years. I’ll be there this time too.

I have seen 3 different posters with 3 different gate opening times on Friday. Just curious

To recap:
The event yesterday was the biggest in years. The show car count was the biggest that I can recall, something like 45-50 cars. The event is geared toward racing so you'd never expect a 100+ count for the show. There have been past events where 20-25 cars were all that came in. The swap wasn't good. Maybe 10-12 people set up stuff that wasn't any better than what I already had. One or two had good stuff that I didn't need.
I did get to see some old friends that I only seem to see at car events.
I didn't watch any of the racing though it did seem to be going well. The event allowed all types of cars, not just Mopars. One Corvette lost an axle at the starting line and destroyed part of the divider wall at the starting line, that caused a delay. No injuries related to that.
Weather wasn't bad....mid 90s by afternoon.
It is highly UNlikely that the sale of the track would be delayed another year to allow another Mopar event in September as it has been for as long as I can remember. THIS was likely the last one.
It is good that it went out on a high note instead of with a half assed event with poor attendance.

It was a good show they through the rule book out. My friend was able to run his convertible Dart into the high 12s and bracket race went 3 rounds.

Flew out from Mi to attend this event. Missed the mark on expectations for this weekend.Especially the swapmeet. Now the closest tracks to Sac is Sonoma and Bakersfield after this track closes. The owners havent maintained this place for years according to my buddies who I went with. It was just a matter of time before the county closed in on this track.Too bad though….

To recap:
The event yesterday was the biggest in years. The show car count was the biggest that I can recall, something like 45-50 cars. The event is geared toward racing so you'd never expect a 100+ count for the show. There have been past events where 20-25 cars were all that came in. The swap wasn't good. Maybe 10-12 people set up stuff that wasn't any better than what I already had. One or two had good stuff that I didn't need.
I did get to see some old friends that I only seem to see at car events.
I didn't watch any of the racing though it did seem to be going well. The event allowed all types of cars, not just Mopars. One Corvette lost an axle at the starting line and destroyed part of the divider wall at the starting line, that caused a delay. No injuries related to that.
Weather wasn't bad....mid 90s by afternoon.
It is highly UNlikely that the sale of the track would be delayed another year to allow another Mopar event in September as it has been for as long as I can remember. THIS was likely the last one.
It is good that it went out on a high note instead of with a half assed event with poor attendance.
I spotted you there, as I was driving to the staging lanes, but I missed out on the chance of chatting it up...
Huge showing of race cars. Too many. I don't understand the decision to double up on events.. other than $$$

Flew out from Mi to attend this event. Missed the mark on expectations for this weekend.Especially the swapmeet. Now the closest tracks to Sac is Sonoma and Bakersfield after this track closes. The owners havent maintained this place for years according to my buddies who I went with. It was just a matter of time before the county closed in on this track.Too bad though….
The swap for this event has always been crappy. What I saw was low level old race parts and other things I had no use for.
As far as the track, the site owners have not put much money into the place for years. The pit area has degraded pavement that they don't even sweep or repair. The seating in the stands is damaged and broken in many places. I think that the track attendance must have dropped way off in the last 10 years. I haven't been there since the Mopar event last year and I haven't run my car for over 10 years.
I'm not a drag race guy though.
If they would have invested in an autocross arena, I'd have really been interested. They have the space for it. There is a market for that if they would have given it a fair effort.

-
Back