The Saga of the 73 Duster Continues

-

rp23g7

Reaction score
So the saga continues.

In previous posts i described that i replaced the 318's manifold and carb with a LD4B and a new Holley 600, throttle linkage, kick down linkage along with the distributor, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, ignition module and voltage regulator, ballast etc.

It still didnt run right, so i was pondering the wiring and the ugliness of it, and decided to get back to basics, i ripped all the garbage wiring out, MAN, the previous owner must have been a fireman, because he was getting ready for lots of practice.

I ripped the radio out that was in it, the power came from a spade connector jammed inbetween a fuse, and a quarter was jammed inbetween another fuse WTF????

I took the cluster out and cleaned up the grounds and the terminals on the ammeter, and attached the wires to a single terminal since it looked like the other had been fried.

I replaced the two coil wires, they had just been twisted together at a splice, jeez... I replaced the neg and pos battery cable, starter relay and added a alt bypass wire from the alt to the starter relay.

I cleaned up the neg ground on the block and added another ground strap from the rear of the head to the heater motor. I have a heck of a spark now.

It still didnt run right so i was pondering the distributor today. I put it on TDC and looked at the rotor, it was way advanced of of NO.1.

So i advanced each plug wire one and retimed it to about 7 degrees, and it runs way better.

It still has a bogginess to it if accelerated hard or even mildly hard, it will bog and backfire unless your gentle.

Wondering if it could be a power valve issue, how do i know what power valve it may need?

wy.jpg

wr6.jpg

wire1.jpg

wire.jpg

dash4.jpg

dash1.jpg

dash.jpg

Looks like the same guy that wired your car also wired mine..:banghead:.. The up side is that I have developed an immense amount of patiences by working on my wiring.....slow and steady brother. Hope you get her sorted our quickly.

Pat

-
Back