Thinking about going 5.9

-
Thanks for responding. Was thinking about a gearvendors overdrive, but if I can do the same thing using a 500 and keep my floor and torsion bars, I'll do that.

One thing about a Gear Vendors is they can take a LOT of power through them, but in my case I don't need my OD to be able to handle 600hp or anything close to it.
I don't lay into it on engagement, but I have run WOT while in OD without any problems.
In my case a GV overdrive costs about what I have into my entire 5.9 and A500 buildup and swap.

Since my rear gears are pretty high (2.73) and OD comes on at 55mph when in automatic mode, I only have about 25mph or so until I am going over the speed limit enough to get a ticket, so usually when I am OD the engine is only running at 1,800 or so and I am doing 65mph. (our normal non Interstate speed limit)
Under these circumstances I only consider or use lockup for MPG cruising out on the open hiways above 75mph.
Lockup converters are not real strong in the upper horse powers holding dept, but if I had to guess I would say I have put over 300hp through it without a problem.
One thing nice about a built into the trans OD is that the trans runs cooler when in OD and especially when in lockup with zero converter slip.
I can watch my engine temps drop almost 10 degrees after going into OD and lockup.

Right at this point in things I am really looking forward to getting some lower gears and a locker rear.
Lower rear gears along with the A500's low first should be a rocket off the line in town, and still keep my RPM's under 2,500 on the hiway.

Whatever decision you make it's all good, pretty much no matter how you look at it.:D

One thing about a Gear Vendors is they can take a LOT of power through them, but in my case I don't need my OD to be able to handle 600hp or anything close to it.
I don't lay into it on engagement, but I have run WOT while in OD without any problems.
In my case a GV overdrive costs about what I have into my entire 5.9 and A500 buildup and swap.

Since my rear gears are pretty high (2.73) and OD comes on at 55mph when in automatic mode, I only have about 25mph or so until I am going over the speed limit enough to get a ticket, so usually when I am OD the engine is only running at 1,800 or so and I am doing 65mph. (our normal non Interstate speed limit)
Under these circumstances I only consider or use lockup for MPG cruising out on the open hiways above 75mph.
Lockup converters are not real strong in the upper horse powers holding dept, but if I had to guess I would say I have put over 300hp through it without a problem.
One thing nice about a built into the trans OD is that the trans runs cooler when in OD and especially when in lockup with zero converter slip.
I can watch my engine temps drop almost 10 degrees after going into OD and lockup.

Right at this point in things I am really looking forward to getting some lower gears and a locker rear.
Lower rear gears along with the A500's low first should be a rocket off the line in town, and still keep my RPM's under 2,500 on the hiway.

Whatever decision you make it's all good, pretty much no matter how you look at it.:D
Thanks for the info. I didn't know the 500 fit so well. I'd hate to cut the floors on a 67 cuda with good floors.

TrailBeast, do you have pictures of what you trimmed? It sounds like it was the torsion bar crossmember that runs from left to right rocker panels and ties into the front frame rails. I understand this is common on a A500 swap, but I am wondering if you reinforced after trimming ss most guys do? If cuda620 does not want to cut floor pans, he should probably stay away from structural crossmembers as well. I have not done an A500 swap personally, so I am curious.

I swapped my 318 for a Magnum a year or so ago in my daily driver and included the A500OD trans.
This made the trans and converter bolt right up to the 5.9 with the correct balance only slightly egging one converter bolt hole.
The cam is a 214/224 duration with about .512 lift using the factory roller lifters and stock Magnum rocker gear.
The heads were replaced with EQ Magnum Iron heads drilled for LA intakes, 92cc closed chambers and 1.92 intake valves.
I'm only running an Edelbrock 600cfm and the 318/360 Edelbrock dual plane intake off the 318, and the 1 5/8 long tube headers with 2.5 inch duals with Flowmasters.
I paid right at $150 for the regrind cam from Oregon Cam Grinders, and Hughes 1110 springs with the higher lift retainers.
All the front is LA covers, water pump and Vbelt drive but a Carter electric pump.

I gained about 200hp and 8 miles to the gallon better on the hiway than the 318/904 combo.
Couldn't be happier with it.
(I didn't have a bunch of money to spend on it, and I have about 2,500-2,800 into the entire swap)

View attachment 1715085476

View attachment 1715085477

View attachment 1715085478

View attachment 1715085479

So Trailbeast you used the 500 trans with “NO” floor cutting at all but what driveshaft are you using? Thanks

So Trailbeast you used the 500 trans with “NO” floor cutting at all but what driveshaft are you using? Thanks

Like I said, I did have to trim down the loop that goes over the top of the trans where the trans cross member is, but other than that no cutting.
The driveshaft was cut down for the difference since the A500 is longer. (about 4 inches shorter)

Like I said, I did have to trim down the loop that goes over the top of the trans where the trans cross member is, but other than that no cutting.
The driveshaft was cut down for the difference since the A500 is longer. (about 4 inches shorter)

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is Great information to know as I embark in what will be the best (Read: Least amount of cutting on the car) combination of Newer Generation Powerplants/Transmissions into my Swinger. Sounds like the A500 is currently leading the pack on the way to proceed.

I swapped my 318 for a Magnum a year or so ago in my daily driver and included the A500OD trans.
This made the trans and converter bolt right up to the 5.9 with the correct balance only slightly egging one converter bolt hole.
The cam is a 214/224 duration with about .512 lift using the factory roller lifters and stock Magnum rocker gear.
The heads were replaced with EQ Magnum Iron heads drilled for LA intakes, 92cc closed chambers and 1.92 intake valves.
I'm only running an Edelbrock 600cfm and the 318/360 Edelbrock dual plane intake off the 318, and the 1 5/8 long tube headers with 2.5 inch duals with Flowmasters.
I paid right at $150 for the regrind cam from Oregon Cam Grinders, and Hughes 1110 springs with the higher lift retainers.
All the front is LA covers, water pump and Vbelt drive but a Carter electric pump.

I gained about 200hp and 8 miles to the gallon better on the hiway than the 318/904 combo.
Couldn't be happier with it.
(I didn't have a bunch of money to spend on it, and I have about 2,500-2,800 into the entire swap)

View attachment 1715085476

View attachment 1715085477

View attachment 1715085478

View attachment 1715085479
I like that! How much did you have to cut away of the floor?

What loop?

on the trans?

Thanks.

-
Back