THROTTLE CABLE QUESTION

-

WAYNE0

Reaction score
I bought a original length throttle cable for my 67 barracuda. Thinking it should be long enough & i was wrong. Its way to short. Now my engine is a 360 with a demon carb. Is there any original style cable that will be long enough ? What for throttle cable are you all running with after market intake & carb ? Thanks

I found this throttle cable stuff to be a challenge when I was building my avatar car. I have a 408 with a Holley 850 DP and a Super Victor intake. So I tried several new cables (bought from Summit) and some I had laying around. I made a little cartoon and measured them up and put the info in a chart. You'll see the one I ended up using as noted in the chart. (Round vs square means the fitting at the firewall - round has the clip and square has the plastic "pop-out" legs that hold it to the firewall.)

upload_2022-9-20_23-11-29.png

This is the throttle cable bracket I used (also got from Summit):
upload_2022-9-20_23-20-3.png

I hope this helps and doesn't add confusion!!

I bought a original length throttle cable for my 67 barracuda. Thinking it should be long enough & i was wrong. Its way to short. Now my engine is a 360 with a demon carb. Is there any original style cable that will be long enough ? What for throttle cable are you all running with after market intake & carb ? Thanks

I have a stock four barrel cable on the 360 in my 67 Barracuda. 1. What original length cable are you running? Two barrel or four? 2. What throttle bracket? Two barrel or Four? 3. Where are you trying to hook the cable to the carb? Do you have the Holley/Mopar throttle lever extension? If not, you should get it.

s-l500.jpg

My 67:

DSCF0152.jpg

This is a budget build. Just trying to used what i have. The cable is an original length cable. Not sure if its 2 or 4 bbl. Its 21.5 I need one thats around 23.5 -24. The bracket is just something i had laying around. Ill post some pics later Thanks for all the input O its a 360 4spd demon carb & eddy performer intake. The cable i have will line up with everything i have its just too short

Well, it you're trying to run a two barrel throttle manifold bracket, the mounting point for the cable is gonna be too far back, which will make you cable too short. (Think about it; the front two barrels of a four barrel are located ahead of the two barrels of a two barrel.) Combine that with trying to attach the cable to the wrong point on the carburetor, could easily make your cable too short.

In other words, maybe it's not that your cable is too short, it's that your other pieces are wrong.

If you have a welder, a two barrel manifold throttle bracket can be modified to move the cable mounting point forward. Alternatively, you could spend money for a four barrel bracket. Or, as suggested in post 2, buy an aftermarket bracket that will let you move the cable mounting point around. And while you can get by without the throttle lever extension I showed you above, it's much easier with the extension. If nothing else, it will give you the proper attachment point and the correct amount of travel. (Think about it; the throttle lever travels in an arc, so how much the carb opens depends on where on the lever you hook the cable - lower more, higher less. So - mount the cable too high, and you'll need a longer cable. Mount if in the correct spot and a shorter one will do.)

This is a budget build. Just trying to used what i have. The cable is an original length cable. Not sure if its 2 or 4 bbl. Its 21.5 I need one thats around 23.5 -24. The bracket is just something i had laying around. Ill post some pics later Thanks for all the input O its a 360 4spd demon carb & eddy performer intake. The cable i have will line up with everything i have its just too short
Yup, photos would be great.

Great source of reference material.
How to set up a Holley 4 bbl for a Mopar

I had this issue when I put a 4-barrel carb on the slant in my truck, except the other way around. The original cable for the Holley 1-bbl was WAY too long. I went to Rock Auto and kept plugging in different year/model/engine in their parts list until I found one that was the right length. I think it was from a 78 Volare V-8 or something similar. IIRC they had many choices, and some were right at 24".

-
Back