Thrust button length???

-

Hipo65

Yeah I'm "That Guy"
Reaction score
hey fellow mopar poeple been pullen my hair out tryen to figure out my end play adjustment,& i think ive got figured out now. Im thinken at some point in time in this power locks life the thrust buttons have been ground down or somthen. So my qustion for you guys is does anyone have any layen around to get a masurement off of to see if thats my culprit? its a stock a-body housing & stock sbp a-body axles. I seems as the buttons are to short (adjuster all the way in & still have too much end play & pass side axle is too far in.)

What sure grip? What procedure did you use when you put it together and set the end play?

I can't imagine someone grinding them down, but I guess anything is possible.

I think I have some buttons in a box from a sure grip, i'll look in the morning and measure them for you, from a clutch power lock sure grip.

Its the dana power lock "aka"clutch style. & the issue im haven is even with the adjuster threaded all the way in i still have too much end play & the pass side axle is dam near tutching the breake shoe equalizer rod on the pass side. before im asked the axles are correct 27 11/16 also the bearings are both pressed the same distance rite @24 1/4 from tip of splines to bearing retainer. the houseing is rite on the money 52 5/8 flange to flange. its almost gotta be the buttons,i took them out & with my dial caliper butted together they are 1.4001 about .100 shy of 1 1/2 inchs.

................The buttons are 1 3/8 inch..........the block in a cone type or open rear is 1 1/2 inches.........so ur buttons are the correct length........how many shims are between the brake backing plate and the housing on each side.......kim.........

1 steel shim gasket on each side.

.............that's correct.......I would say u need a wider spacer or longer axles, but each seem to be the right ones, only thing I could think is that the bearings are pressed on to far, but I don't have a set handy to check.........I have seen where a bolt or a rod was cut off too the 1 1/2 length and subistuted.....kim...........

-
Back