thrust button removal?

-

mopardude318

Reaction score
hello. installing green bearings on the factory 8 3/4 axles. I have a 742 case 355 clutch type sure grip...I heard/read I have to take out the little thrust button in the center section. Is it a must that I remove it to use green bearings? I tried to take it out with a magnet, and needle nose, but it only slides out a little then stops...i dont want to damage it...any ideas?

The two buttons are held together with a roll pin. If you can fab a hook device you can probably pull one half out then remove the other half from the opposite side with a magnet.

I dunno if I'm understanding...theres a pin right in the middle of the button, is that the one? can that be punched out?

Thank you. I got it out! I guess I wasn't beating on it hard enough...lol.

2h8akxh.jpg

My diff is not a posi its open do I have to remove thoes buttoms also.489 case.Sorry to hi jack,but I need to know also.Thanks

My diff is not a posi its open do I have to remove thoes buttoms also.489 case.Sorry to hi jack,but I need to know also.Thanks

If your going to use green bearings yes. Although yours is a bit more work. You have to remove the chunk and remove the spider gear cross shaft to remove the thrust spacer.

Sorry to hi-jack,k but how difficult is it to install the thrust button? Bought a complete SG chunk from another member where the button has been removed (but included). Was planning on using original bearings but if re-installation is a PITA, guess I could use green bearings (but don't really want to).

Sorry to hi-jack,k but how difficult is it to install the thrust button? Bought a complete SG chunk from another member where the button has been removed (but included). Was planning on using original bearings but if re-installation is a PITA, guess I could use green bearings (but don't really want to).

It can be done, but is more of a PITA than removing it. The original style like the one picture above was installed and then the end was braded to hold them together. Some aftermarkets used a roll pin which is easier to install without taking the SG apart. It will take two people, one to hold one button with the roll pin installed and slid in the hole while you install the second half from the other side and drive it onto the roll pin.

-
Back