Time to Fix It Right

Small Block Mopar Engine

1. Nat

Nat Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    9:52 AM
    i think you have a mismatch of parts , big cam how far down the hole are those pistons ? you should be able to idle under 900 for sure . holley is easy to rebuild so start with that . compression is way low . and the lights dimming With Crackedbacks relay is weird .
    think you have a bunch of little problems that have added up Good luck getting the car running right

2. Nat

Nat Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    9:52 AM
    • Cruising. I would like to be able to go for a drive without stalling out at intersections or overheating in traffic (to the extent that this is possible in a ~50 year old car).
    • this is possible I drive my car every day 100 miles , in traffic a good part of the time does not stall or overheat , you can do it as well , you just need the right combo of parts and a good tune

3. danielb927

danielb927 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    3:52 AM
    Thanks for the feedback, all. I agree those numbers are quite low. However, they're not THAT much lower than when I ran this test 7/8 years ago with a threaded type tester from AutoZone. Those were in the 110-115 range.

Anyhow, I will try again with a loaner screw-in type and see if things look any different. Want to get this step right before moving on to any other plans.

4. danielb927

danielb927 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    3:52 AM
    Another update! Sorry these are so slow. Maybe I should have named the thread "Do I Have Time To Fix It Right?"

Was able to get a loaner screw-in type tester from AutoZone. Didn't have time to test all 8 cylinders today, so I ran three interesting ones (engine cold, WOT)

Driver's Side
    1 - 120
    5 - 105

Passenger's Side
    4 - 110

So if the numbers are pretty consistent (per the earlier test), and this is a baseline (110ish), is that reasonable given the 280H cam?

5. Wyrmrider

Wyrmrider Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    1:52 AM
    yes

1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.