Timeing set alignment question

-

mopar head

Reaction score
Replaceing timeing set, I got #1 on compression stroke, hand turned to tdc on timeing cover. Rotor pointing to #1. Piston @ top of hole. Old set showed cam sprocket mark @ 12oclock. Crank mark @ 12 also. New set says align. cam@ 6oclock and crank @12. Is it allright to align like the old one as long as the keyways align? sign :scratch: thanks

The only way the old set showed the mark on the cam sprocket to be pointing at 12 o'clock was because it was on the exhaust stroke instead of the compression stroke.
The cam mark is at 6 o'clock and the crank is at 12 o'clock when on the compression stroke and at top dead center.
I just helped a buddy of mine today, install his cam in a 318.
Must be that time of year.
Use a strait edge to make sure you have the chain on right and line up the marks with a strait edge.
GOOD LUCK8)

I ran into the same thing while changing the timing set in my 65 coronet wagon with a 361 . I installed it just like it cam out. When you get it installed and roll the crank over one rotation the cam will be at the 6 o clock postion and the crank should be at the 12 o clock postion. As the crank will make 2 revolutions to the one cam revolution.
Matt

The marks get you close. You have to use a degree wheel to check the cam timing.

The only way the old set showed the mark on the cam sprocket to be pointing at 12 o'clock was because it was on the exhaust stroke instead of the compression stroke.
The cam mark is at 6 o'clock and the crank is at 12 o'clock when on the compression stroke and at top dead center.
I just helped a buddy of mine today, install his cam in a 318.
Must be that time of year.
Use a strait edge to make sure you have the chain on right and line up the marks with a strait edge.
GOOD LUCK8)
Thanks, but it sure blew my thumb pretty good. It would seem that if the exhaust valve was open you would`nt feel that much pressure?? It still should be ok just to put the new set on the same orientation as the old? seems it would have to be, or otherwise it`ll be 180* out, correct?

Replaceing timeing set, I got #1 on compression stroke, hand turned to tdc on timeing cover. Rotor pointing to #1. Piston @ top of hole. Old set showed cam sprocket mark @ 12oclock. Crank mark @ 12 also. New set says align. cam@ 6oclock and crank @12. Is it allright to align like the old one as long as the keyways align? sign :scratch: thanks

That would be correct, when installing a new chain and using the marks on the gears the cam mark should be at 6 and the crank mark at 12, the engine will be on the exhaust stroke, not compression stroke.

Chevys line up like the instructions say. Mopars have the crank dot at 12 o'clock and the cam dot at 12 o'clock.

The crank sprocket dot should be at 12 o'clock at TDC. You may install the cam with the dot at 12 or 6 o'clock. The engine does not care. Line them up either way, and then rotate the crank 1 turn if you doubt me.

What you should take notice of, is whether #1 or #6 is firing at TDC so you don't install the distributor 180 out.

That would be correct, when installing a new chain and using the marks on the gears the cam mark should be at 6 and the crank mark at 12, the engine will be on the exhaust stroke, not compression stroke.
Thanks, the instructions, nor a factory manual, nor the chiltons, explain procedure

Chevys line up like the instructions say. Mopars have the crank dot at 12 o'clock and the cam dot at 12 o'clock.
I guess what I`m trying to find out, the new set has to go back on the same as the old set, or I`ll be pulling dist. and rotating 180*?

..........When the dot on the cam is at 6, and the crank is at 12 ur on #6 comp stroke, ur rotor will b pointing at # 6...............good luck.......kim............

What He said!!!
The crank sprocket dot should be at 12 o'clock at TDC. You may install the cam with the dot at 12 or 6 o'clock. The engine does not care. Line them up either way, and then rotate the crank 1 turn if you doubt me.

What you should take notice of, is whether #1 or #6 is firing at TDC so you don't install the distributor 180 out.

Hey fellas, while your here. the book says dizzy has to come out. with a special tool needed, OR, have a buddy hold a screwdriver against cam gear to keep from buggering up plug @ back of block. Is this that critical? I`m thinkin if I could find a longer bolt I could run the cam sprocket on that way? what would you guys suggest if you cant find a helper? or how do you do it?

I guess what I`m trying to find out, the new set has to go back on the same as the old set, or I`ll be pulling dist. and rotating 180*?

Sorry about that, the gears only go on one way, no matter who makes them and you won't have to touch the dist. You can align the gears either way, both at 12 or the cam at 6 and crank at 12 just as long as they are aligned. Once you are finished you can turn the engine so the #1 cyl is on compression stroke and make sure the dist. is pointing the correct way.

-
Back