timing sets

-

Ironmike

Reaction score
I used the second one down for my stroker build.

Maybe you could give us a clue about your build. I would hate to recommend a chevy level part for a Cadillac level build. Or vice versa.

I've used Cloyes for years. Nice thing about them is that they have .005" and .010" shorter sets and chains by themselves, which helps if your block has been line bored and honed. I have a Milodon set also which I plan to use in my next build.

Probly shoulda gave you guys more info.
I'm refreshing my 4 yr old IMM 410 stroker with a power upgrade.
Factory block, Scat forged internals, with Icon pistons. Total seal gapless rings, will be 11:1 (ish)
Comp solid roller 259/269 .681 lift.
CNC ported IMM/Indy heads with a Super Victor.

I want the best damn timing set I can get(can't afford a belt drive), but I might want to advance/retard my cam after degreeing. I need adjustability too.

In my day, you just bought a Cloyes and didn't think twice about it. Nowaday I'm not so sure..

The Rollmaster sets are supposed to be about the best.

The Rollmaster sets are supposed to be about the best.

You know I heard that a lot a few yrs. around the time I did my 408 so I bought one of them and the crank gear fit real sloppy on the crank. Sent it back. Next one fit much better but still wasn't perfect but I used it anyway. Took the engine apart at 5000 miles and the chain was sloppy as could be.

I asked my machinist about them and he said he used them for a while then quality became hit or miss so he quit using them and switched to JP Performance and has had no problem with them. Here's a link on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003PHIHRI/?tag=joeychgo-20

Tracy, that's interesting. It's my understanding that either Rollmaster bought JP out or it's the other way around. Either way, I think they are the same company now. I've always been happy with either Cloyes or Comp. Whatever's on sale. lol

Tracy, that's interesting. It's my understanding that either Rollmaster bought JP out or it's the other way around. Either way, I think they are the same company now. I've always been happy with either Cloyes or Comp. Whatever's on sale. lol

Ok, I hadn't heard that. I haven't used a Cloyes in any of my engines but I did degree one on for another guy and it was the only set I ever degreed that was dead on. On the other hand it was a Cloyes gear drive that I degreed in for a guy in a 454 Chevy that was 16 degrees off. Anything can happen to any brand so that's why I always degree them in.

That's what Ed (805MoparKid) said. I haven't seen him around in a while either.

-
Back