Tips for painting dual side items.

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
Looking for tips on getting the hood painted. I need to prime the whole thing. Is it best to do one side then flip to do the other? Could this be done in the same day? Or do you have a hanging system you use? Ive got the front end I need to get primered and ready for paint.

Color matters with a question like this. If you are going with a metallic, the hood should be painted on the car.

But yes, you would normally paint the underside, off the car, then mount the hood and paint the top while it's on the car.

I only primed mine before I put it aside but I just hung the hood about chest height from the garage ceiling and did it all at once. Worked out pretty slick.

If you aren't going to paint the car as a complete assembly........The hood should be painted while sitting flat...not hanging. The same goes for the trunk lid. The doors should be oriented so that they are hanging at the same angle as if they were bolted to the car.

Metallics will lay down differently depending on if they are on a vertical surface or a horizontal surface. Your panels will end up being a different color if they aren't sprayed with the panels hanging correctly.

if you want to do like the factory did you spray the car all together that's how it was done from factory. doing at your own shop jamb it all mask it up and top coat the outer body. for metallic do it in B/C then you dont have striping,modeling and it comes out even been panting these mopars for 34yrs good luck

Its a solid color no flake. I guess Im having a problem wrapping my head around doing it one side at a time. Its BC/CC so if I plan to paint the top on the car id need to do the sides of the hood as well. Guess im not sure how to blend them.

I've done both.

I like putting it together for most cars, for the same reason tdart suggested.

I shot the jambs and outside of the car at the same time. It can be tricky, but it was done that way to begin with.

Wonder the dry time on epoxy primer! Ive got my hood to prime both sides. can I lay it flat and prime it one side and flip it if so how long should I wait?

24 hours on epoxy, We hang the hood to prime. Paint the underside on a stand. Back tape flip it over a paint the top side. We paint every piece of the car a part metallic or not. This takes two days to do this way to allow for dry times to back tape. But a much nice finish on the bottom side when done this way.
Just the way we do it at my shop.

24 hours on epoxy, We hang the hood to prime. Paint the underside on a stand. Back tape flip it over a paint the top side. We paint every piece of the car a part metallic or not. This takes two days to do this way to allow for dry times to back tape. But a much nice finish on the bottom side when done this way.
Just the way we do it at my shop.

So your saying if i choose to do one side at at time i need to wait 24 hours to flip? You wouldn't happen to have a photo of how you hang them would you? I know that's a weird question but im trying to wrap my mind around something I could build to do just that!

I think I shall primer the bottom with both primers then mount the hood on the car and do the top while im doing the fenders. Not sure why ive been racking my brain trying to find a solution

So your saying if i choose to do one side at at time i need to wait 24 hours to flip? You wouldn't happen to have a photo of how you hang them would you? I know that's a weird question but im trying to wrap my mind around something I could build to do just that!

Look on my facebook page its in my signature. Look through the albums. You will see how we hang parts to paint

Once your past the sealing stage like you are, painting seems to be way easier to deal with the panels on car, you don't have to worry about chips and scratches and such once you get to that inevitable adjustment stage. The trade off is odd angles to get good coverage.

My .02.

-
Back