Tips on install of new woodgrain on console

-

pauls340

Reaction score
Can anyone give me a tip on how to straighten or flaten the peal-n-stick woodgrain going on an Abody console? Can I iron it to flaten it out? Low temp of course...

If you're using a vinyl overlay, it will melt if you try to apply an iron or heat gun........If it's full of air bubbles, the only thing you could do to try to save the job would be to work the bubble into itself, then insert the tip of a new needle into the perimeter....gently push the air out of the bubble, smooth it with your thumb, and move on to the next bubble. You can make it easier by applying some heat with a regular blow drier to warm up the vinyl.

Without pics, it's hard to comment......you didn't really say what the problem was in any detail.......

Thanks Tom. No problems, yet, i'm just getting some ideas before i start. I'll use a hair dryer...should I use dish soap like when you apply a body side decal?

water will work just fine and allow you to reposition....just be sure to have it layed out straight then use a hard plastic squeegie to smooth it out.

Good luck.

Mop

If you want a more aggressive adhesive quality, mix a little rubbing alcohol in with a glass of water (a shot), and just a drop of soap.

This is the best solution for decals, and is the same formula sold for mega bucks........It gives you plenty of time to work out the bubbles and wrinkles, and allows you to reposition if necessary. (put it in a small spray bottle).

Your material will determine your squeegee....felt is good for soft vinyls....if you don't have any, then use a damp paper towel folded into a pad....work out as much of the liquid as you can.......should come out as smooth as a baby's back side.

-
Back