Tire height opinion needed

-

vwmoparguy

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am undecided on rims and tires for my 65 Dart project but am looking at many options. Ranging from stock 15in steelies to custom 17 inch rims. My question is if anyone knows the max tire height I can run in the rear with a stock fenderwell. I have the 3/4 inch kit to move the leaf springs. I have brand new stock springs. I may lower the rear an inch or so depending on what it looks like the way it is. I want to factor my tire height into my gear ratio. So can I run a 28 inch tall tire?

I love to offer up my worthless opinion but brother I don't even know were to start. Can you post some good picks of your car to get a better feel of its swag.

A 28" tall tire will not fit in the rear of your Dart. If you move the axle back a little it might fit. I have a 27 1/2" tire on my Barracuda right now with an 8 1/4 rear (1 1/2" narrower than 7 1/4 rear) and it just barely clears.

Attachments

• DSC02606.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 106
The only pics I have so far are on my resto thread entitled "my 65 dart gt resto". I don't have the rear end back in the car yet. It was a sbp and now lbp so I need to buy wheels regardless. I was hoping for a 27 inch tall tire but wanted some feelers for 28's.

Commando, I have an 8 1/4 rear end going into it. It also has the leafs moved in 3/4 of an inch. I was hoping for around a 245 width and the profile would depend on if I go 15,16 or 17 inch wheels. 27 inches puts me where I want to be rpm'wise at highway cruising speed.

-
Back