Tires & wheel sizes for '66 Barracuda

-

Dale Erickson

Old "Fish Man"
Reaction score
I am restoring a '66 Plym. Barracuda w/ small bolt pattern wheels. I want to put the largest wheels and tires on it, without running into clearance and rubbing issues. What back-set would work? I am thinking of either plain steel wheels or possibly Torque-Thrusts.

Thank you,

Dale in Albuquerque, New Mexico

What rear axle does the car have now, 7 1/4" or 8 3/4", & what size rear brakes? What diameter wheels do you want to use, 14" or 15"? What front brakes does the car have, 9" drums, 10" drums or discs? I don't think they make Torque Thrusts in the small bolt pattern but I might be wrong.

I have a 7 1/4" rear end, with 10" drums on all fours. I was planning on 14" tires: You may be correct about the Torque-Thrusts, I don't know. Do you know where can I find info. on the correcct back-set for my '66 Barracuda?

Torq Thrusts are not available in the 5 X 4 bolt pattern. I am going through this same decision process now on my 63 Dart. It looks like I am going with 225 60 15s all the way around on 15 X 7 Cragar Eliminators.

Did you have any tire rubbing in the fronts and is that why you recommended 205/70's in the front?

Dale from Albuquerque

No rubbing in the front with the 215/70-14s as long as the torsion bars are set up for it but its close. Also because the 215s are tall you will need a big tire (like a 245/60-14) in the back to be as tall. In order to do that on the back of early Barracudas you will need pretty stiff springs.

I have a '65 Barracuda that I just put new tires on. I went with 235/60-14s in the back & 215/60-14s in the front. There is plenty of clearance in the back, could have went with 245/60s. I am using stock Mopar Ralley wheels & I can't remember the exact back spacing, think it was around 4" +/-. With a little more back spacing I could have gone even wider than 245s; I have a good amount of space inside the tire but less along the wheel well lip. Hope this helps.

-
Back