'Tis a puzzlement

-

grumpuscreature

Resident Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Quick and easy question. The master cylinder on my '66 Valiant went out. I've been waiting 19 days for NAPA Online to get one to me. Would it be OK to go ahead and mount up the '75 Duster disc master and still use the 9" drum brakes? Have all the parts I need for a disc swap except the 14" tires and it will be a couple of months before I can get them.disgust

What you could do since you say you have all of the lines for the dual system master cylinder is try and cancel the order for the stock single and order a '75 Plymouth Duster drum/drum master cylinder and use that until you are ready to go disc. This way you will have all the lines ready for your disc conversion and in the mean time you will have a dual system braking.

Chuck

I have one from my 66 Valiant! Do you need it? It was last used 5 years ago when I parked my car to swap in my 340 and disc brakes. It was a new one I bought and only used it for a year. Car had manual 9" drum brakes. Let me know, will sell it cheap! PM sent!

Well I did it. I was not going to drive my 63 with a single pot master, not even around the block. I also did not want to buy a drum master knowing that I was upgrading to disks at my first chance. I bought a master for a 74 Road Runner disk car. I ran all new lines and a new "T" in the front line. I drove for about 20k miles with the 9" drums and the RR disk master, without a problem.

WARNING this is not the "right" thing to do, and if you do it it is at YOUR OWN RISK!!!

TopHat

you are tight, it is NOT the right thing to do. all drum masters have a residual pressure valve in the front and rear lines. disc masters only have it in the rear.

-
Back