To stroke or not to stroke?

-

70Scamp

Reaction score
I recently picked up a 383 and 73 scamp that I was going to have a little fun with, however I've been toying with the idea of stroking the 383 I got. Its already been bored .60 over and can burn the duallys off a dodge D500.

I would appreciate any thoughts and or suggestions on this as I havent stroked a mopar motor before. As in what do you guys suggest for size, I've noticed there are a few different sizes/kits available.

440 source...

if it already has new pistons in it i wouldn't bother... only reason i did mine is because i needed to do a new piston...

Depends on your application and budget, spend the money on heads & valve train first that's where the power is plus intake and exhaust and if your got the money left over stroke her. Make sure you budget in the drive train also so you'll be able to put the power to the ground and without breaking parts every time.

Depends on your application and budget, spend the money on heads & valve train first that's where the power is plus intake and exhaust and if your got the money left over stroke her. Make sure you budget in the drive train also so you'll be able to put the power to the ground and without breaking parts every time.

when i bought my stroker kit it was 1700 shipped... it was cheaper to buy that then it was to have new pistons bought, everything balanced, the rods re-done and rings and bearings and on and on...
all in all it cost me about 200 more for the 512 kit vs stock bottom end with new pistons...

It's coming to the point where it more cost effective to buy new than machine the old parts now all we need someone to manufacture blocks cheaper than buying and blue printing used ones.

MRL Performance. He is a sponsor/vendor on this forum and he gives alot of advise on here.

It's coming to the point where it more cost effective to buy new than machine the old parts now all we need someone to manufacture blocks cheaper than buying and blue printing used ones.

well dont go world products Cast iron blocks... we have had it with there cast iron blocks... on one of our builds were on our 3rd block in one car... first one had OIL shooting out of the WATER jacket... and the other had a over heating issue due to massive core shift...

their aluminum blocks seem to be fine though...

After checking out that 440 source site I think I am going to go with the 496 stroker kit.

It has 906 heads and a stock mopar intake and I believe its just a basic cam, what do you guys suggest for heads and intake combo with a slightly beefier cam?

After checking out that 440 source site I think I am going to go with the 496 stroker kit.

It has 906 heads and a stock mopar intake and I believe its just a basic cam, what do you guys suggest for heads and intake combo with a slightly beefier cam?

im running the 512 kit... have Eddy Victor heads and matching intake... running a small 255 @ .050 .564 hydralic to i learn it and can afford a solid roller...

im running the 512 kit... have Eddy Victor heads and matching intake... running a small 255 @ .050 .564 hydralic to i learn it and can afford a solid roller...

How much hp/tq is that monster spitting out?

I checked out your /6 build also, very nice. did you ever get your intake built?

Great choice.I used to work for a Mopar speedshop,he ordered the 512 kit.Balanced quickly(I.e no complants) he complains about everything. Victor. 440s up top,350 cfm with boel cleanup,and good valvejob.

-
Back