Torque converter general queries

-

Claudius

Reaction score
When I have completed rebuilding my 318, I am hoping for around 350hp from the engine in my '68 Barracuda.

That being said, I want to have the A904 rebuilt because it is the original and I do not know its condition. I will probably have a Stage 2 valve body and a shift kit put in. The shop in Edmonton, AB also rebuilds torque converters and could make mine into a 2200-2400 stall type if I wanted them to. All told, they have informally quoted me around $1500 for the complete effort.

I do not plan to race this car and I have acquired a Sure-Grip (2.76:1) 7-1/4" rear differential and axle assembly to replace the open 2.26:1 that was there. I think that it should be stronger than before but it is still likely the weakest link in the chain.

When it comes to torque converters, I understand the general concept (pump, stator, rotor, lock-up vs non-lock-up). What I am not 100% sure about is the concept of a "high stall" unit. Thus, can anybody help with answers to the following questions:

1) Will a high stall unit always allow the engine to rev up before launch (ie: under normal stop-and-go driving conditions)?
2) Should I consider trying to get a 1900-2100 unit instead?
3) I have read about 7-1/4" Sure-Grips holding up under large engine loads (ie: big blocks). Will mine be DOA if I use any kind of a stall converter?

Thanks in advance.

1) Will a high stall unit always allow the engine to rev up before launch (ie: under normal stop-and-go driving conditions)?

No, but you will likely notice a lack of efficiency; it'll feel a bit "loose."

2) Should I consider trying to get a 1900-2100 unit instead?

Stall speed depends a lot on power of the engine versus weight of the car, as well as cam specs (listed power band of the cam). Because its already a smaller diameter converter, it'll tend to stall to a higher rpm without modification. The shop that will be doing the work should have a better idea what you need if you give them the above info.

3) I have read about 7-1/4" Sure-Grips holding up under large engine loads (ie: big blocks). Will mine be DOA if I use any kind of a stall converter?

The stall converter may help it under normal driving conditions. The shift kit will do exactly the opposite, since the 7.25" does not like shocks to the system. The gearing change was a good idea, but I think you really want another axle than the 7.25".

-
Back