Tranny Guys I Need Some Input

-

gtmopar

Phuckin A!
Reaction score
So I just dropped the 904 in my 65 Dart this afternoon. It was a fairly good working tranny aside from the kickdown not working and it leaking from every gasket surface. So Im going to attempt to rebuild this tranny a little beefier to handle some horsepower. First off is this an early 904 because its way different from my other 904 which looks a lot better due to less cables and crap on it. Ive always been a 4 speed guy so autos are new to me and i want to learn them inside and out. So my big questions are, Is this tranny worth building or should I find a later model one? Whats a good manual that I should get with all the specs and info to rebuild? And finally wheres the best place to get rebuild parts for the 904's? I also need a rear tranny mount, the rubber on mine just fell apart. Thanks for all the input and Im posting pics of it. Thanks fellas.
Rick

Attachments

• 018.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 177
  • 019.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 189
  • 020.JPG
    156.1 KB · Views: 187
  • 021.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 196
  • 022.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 199
There are a few issues you will have to deal with going to a later model trans. Your 65 is a cable shift, the later models use mechanical linkage. The drive shaft will have to be changed. And the convertor hub is different size.

Yea thats what i was afraid of. Im not liking the cable shifting trans, Im thinking about swapping out the shifter anyways and driiveshaft is no biggie ill have another one made. So I'm guessing there is a bigger aftermarket for the later 904s. looking like mine is going to find the scrapper! lol

Yours is a very hard to find trans. I'm sure you can sell it to someone doing a restoration.

Thanks for the info man. I have a 727 but im not sure if I want to go that route. Everyone says run the 904's because they require less Hp to turn plus I already had my rotating assembly balanced to a 904 flex plate so I guess Im going to have to weigh my options. Thanks man.

Make sure you measure the diameter of the snout on the convertors and make sure they are the same.

Anyone have a solid built 904 for sale in nor cal with converter? Figured I'd try.

rick,dont scrap that trans like roy said you can sell it and recoup some funds for your ne trans.

Thanks guys yea it just pissed me off once I knew what I had. Thanks James for input on that book. Wish I can found another trans like you sold me and I'd be in hog heaven! Problem is there is no performance aftermarket for pre 66 904's. just when I was ready to slam this thing back together another setback. Story of my life.

-
Back